Monday, January 11, 2010

Making a Habit of Habukkuk

Okay, corny title. What did you expect?

Just wanted to give an update on my scripture memory of Habakkuk 3. I can say I was tempted to cut the full 19 verses down to a more manageable chunk --like four-- but I was making excuses. Yes, it's a challenge, but I have had some wonderful times alone in my home, pretending to be Habukkuk recounting God's mighty acts that He performed in and around Mt. Sinai.

What makes it easy to remember (compared to other parts of the Bible) is all the personification and the action-packed imagery. Flashing rays, glittering spears, speeding arrows. The head of the house of the wicked being split open from thigh to neck. Clint Eastwood, have you thought of directing a major motion picture from a minor 'motional prophet?

Sunday morning I was awakened by Ben at 5:15. He was leaving for the Ravens playoff game in Massuchusetts six hours away with his dad. From that moment on, I couldn't sleep, though I surely wanted to. God had other ways for me to steward the morning: meditating and memorizing more!

I found myself fairly zipping through the verses, peeking now and then, delivering a soliloquy to an audience of One. Even if it's not word perfect (I'm trying), I find the "meat" of it so powerful I just applaud God. He has done so much for us. He went out for the salvation of His people, for the salvation of His anointed. (It harkens to the question from the NT, "If God be for us, who can be against us?") The vindication is scary and comforting all at once.

Pray I use self-control against time-wasters (namely computer) and prize more things of eternal value. "His are the everlasting ways."

1 comment:

Karen said...

oh my dear Shiggy Ziggy Zub.. i am praying :) i love you