Friday, August 06, 2010

26 x 26

I'm a numbers gal. No, I don't[ mean I like math, but I like numbers for setting goals. I set my timer for housework, watch the miles on the trip meter in the van because I know my gas gauge is faulty and my tank stops at 347 miles. (Learned the hard way.) I use numbers when baking because the goal is a decent-tasting, presentable dessert. (Also learned the hard way.)

But mainly I use numbers when setting exercise goals. On the treadmill I change up the goals from distance to speed to time to incline or a combo thereof.

My current goal is to walk 26 by 26. That is, 26 miles total (closest whole number to a marathon) by the 26th of August (my birthday)

The track at the football field is about 1.25 and the walk to and from our car certainly brings it to 1.3. On Tuesdays, my friend Lauren has agreed to walk with me, and she is a duathloner, so she can push me to 2.5. (She could try to push me to 9.5, but I can push back:). I'm sure these numbers sound very lame to some of my fit readers, but let's just say they are baby steps for me. I want to have lost 10 pounds by my b'day, and have shed 2 this week already from walking.

Please say a prayer. In the past, I have set goals, started out great, and failed more times than I can count.

But I'm getting back up again.

26 by 26. And she's off!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Way to goal!
I love that you set a goal!
I'll pray!

Karen said...

3 weeks to build up to 26 miles?

zz said...

Karen, that's a total of 26 miles covered by the 26th, so like 1.3 for 20 days or 2.6 in 10 days. It only sounds like a marathon to me!!!

I've completed 5.

Karen said...

ha. i totally read it wrong the first time. oops! ;) in that case, totally doable. you can do it!