Monday, November 08, 2010

Gratitude List: Health Edition 11.8.10

Since I've had health problems for six weeks, this list will consist largely of what I'm thankful for in regard to medicine, hospitals, wellness, doctors, and the like. I feel I should apologize for the "topicalness" of it, and the self-centeredness it could appear to have. But truly, my thanks are toward God, and so I won't apologize, but rather enumerate.

I'm thankful for

1. my womb, the first home my babies ever knew
2. the joy and mystery of human conception
3. the thrill of feeling babies move and dreaming of holding them
4. the grace to go through the sorrow of losing babies
5. OB/GYNs who do what they do , whether specializing in infertility, high risks, or cancer
6. pain, which, in CS Lewis's words 'is God's megaphone"
7. significant blood loss that told me something was really, really wrong with me
8. phlebotomists who can stick me w/o a problem, whether I have 16 oz of water in me or not
9. labs that run necessary tests
10. doctors who respond quickly and compassionately
11. a mom who taught me to question things, not simply accept an authority's word on things that could be dangerous
12. common sense
13. a cousin who came back into my life at this critical time, who happens to be a Nurse Practitioner with myriad health problems herself, and therefore offers practical advice full of understanding from both sides of the bed, so to speak
14. a friend who coordinated meals to be brought to me when I was too weak to think about putting ingredients together, let alone stand and cook --a grace I thought was "reserved" for times when someone's just had a baby, surgery, or a death in the family. Grace is not reserved.
15. vitamins
16. access to first, second, third opinions
17. excellent health insurance
18. not feeling overly claustrophobic during my MRI
19. the opportunity to spend a painful one hour on my back during the MRI. The agony from stiffness in that single position reminded me of Jesus on the cross. My suffering could in no way compare, but it did make me appreciate his, and to be able to say my afflictions are light and momentary.
20. snail mail that encouraged me
21. the food that was brought to us--delicious, iron-rich food. Often the food was things I had been craving (pumpkin pie, salad including boiled eggs and bacon, hot chili on a cold rainy day, Italian anything--my fave comfort food)
22. pain medication
23. heating pad
24. comfy bed
25. clean drinking water
26. the loss of the taste for coffee because coffee inhibits the absorption of iron
27. the beauty of the leaves outside my window
28. humor, the best medicine. When I told my friend Kim that I'd probably be having a hysterectomy, she cheered me with this. "Zo, what was it my mom used to say?... 'The crib will be gone, but the playpen will still be there!'"

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Looks like you've got a lot to be thankful for!

Laurie said...

Count your blessings
Name them one by one
Count your blessings
See what God has done!

Kim's mom's statement is new to me. Somehow I hear a bit of a "Brooklyn accent" (or can I say "Yiddish accent" without being offensive?)!

zz said...

An accent for sure, but Baltimore. It would sound like this:
De crib'll be gawn, but de PLAYpin'll still be dere, hon." When you're in Bawlmer, hon, ya know, you defnittly hear a accint 'n all.