Thursday, April 03, 2014

C is for Calling

The third question that I've chosen from the legacy book that my daddy filled in was this:

Did you ever feel that God had a special calling on your life?

He replied:

Yes. I have always felt that God calls out particular persons for particular tasks by various means.  That calling may come rather climactically, or may come over a prolonged period--a process rather than an event.

In the early 70s, I felt God wanted more of me, whereupon I offered myself for the Gospel ministry.  Brenda and I packed our belongings and went to Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, MO, from which each of us took a degree. 

My focus was institutional chaplaincy.  After taking the degree and working in a mental institution (an internship) I felt the doors closing: 200 applicants for each chaplaincy position. 
When I now tell people at my Government office that I had planned to work with crazy people but went to work for the government instead, they often retort, "Same difference."

4 comments:

Susan Kane said...

What a history, and story. It makes sense, for in your writing I can see that desire to help and minister.

Mary Hill said...

So funny. God's calling is so important. We share that. God is calling me to be bold about my faith this month. Thanks so much for stopping by and encouraging me. Keep coming and praying. My readership includes Hindu and Buddhists. I am trying to reach them with the Gospel.

Kirsten said...

Ha ha! Nice. :-D
I guess we all have our calling and in different ways we can all contribute. Lovely post. :-)

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

ha! so funny. I think God calls us our whole lives, and sometimes his will for us changes. There are seasons of different types of service.