Sunday, February 22, 2015

Daybook Entry, Feb 22, 2015

I'm linking up with the Simple Woman whose blog inspires me to show the beauty of everyday life in word and pictures. 

FOR TODAY,  church is cancelled for the second consecutive week due to bad weather.  Temperatures have been brutal.  (One degree a few days ago.)  Wind whips like it does on the prairie except that, hello, we're not in Kansas anymore!

We also had to postpone my son's 13th birthday party that was supposed to be here this afternoon. 

Outside my window...


I am thinking...

of an old Sunday School song we used to sing as kids, but it came into my head this morning as "Deep and White."


I am thankful...
for a new hairstyle that I like.  I was afraid of going shorter again, but my hairdresser put me at ease. 


In the kitchen...

Hubby decided to make a meatloaf yesterday. He wanted a recipe that did not have the ketchup glaze on top.  From Chow.com he found this one with cheddar and topped with sliced bacon.  I made Easy Peach Coffee Cake for dessert.


I am wearing...
My old, army green "It's Hip to Give" long-sleeved sweatshirt ,some slate blue sweatpants, thick white socks, and ruby slippers.  No, seriously, I have ruby red slippers!  If I click my heels together, will I be in the Bahamas?

I am creating...
a few little quilts at the same time.   Yesterday I was having fun making this string quilt for a NICU in California. (I have a connection to someone whose grandson was there, and she is collecting quilts for the babies who are often born before baby showers or shopping have been done..)

Which color background do you think looks best? 




I am going...

Nowhere today.  Snowed in and staying put in my happy place--the sewing room. 

I am wondering...

How long it will take for all this snow to melt.  It always does, but we got 10" inches of snow yesterday on top of the 3" already there.




I am reading... (still, because I'm slow)

Death by Living (Wilson)
Captivating (Eldredge)
First Peter, chapter 4 (the Apostle Peter)

I am hoping...

to get my two finished baby quilts (Strawberry Shortcake and Bootsanigee) mailed this week.  



I am looking forward to...

having my son's science fair done and over with! I cannot tell a lie. 

I am learning...

how to make the X block.  I really like it--simple and fun.  Also learning how 
using the black and white filter on my iPhone helps me see contrast better 
when I'm choosing fabrics to use together and arranging blocks. 



Around the house...

are signs of winter.  Thick throw blankets, snow boots, comfort foods.


I am pondering...

when it will be my turn to be a grandmother. 

A favorite quote for today...

"and do not plunge with them again into a flood of dissipation"

From First Peter 4.  It should not have made me giggle, but it did.  I was picturing
a caricature of an old Baptist mother shaking her finger at her 18 year old son. "Stay away from drunkenness and orgies that your former friends were into, and do not plunge with them again into a flood of dissipation!!!"

One of my favorite things...
my baby's face when he's trying not to smile, but all I had to say was "remember the time Mom fell in the pool?"  He can't help it; gets him every time. 



A few plans for the rest of the week:

  • getting ready for the dreaded science fair
  • preparing (hoping) to have my son's birthday party next Sunday
  • having the dryer fixed by my hubby, who is handy, and detected that the problem only involves replacing the heating element (a $21 part)
 A peek into my day...
I made these without a recipe. I was just in the mood for breakfast casserole. 
  • 4 slices thick cut bacon, fried 8 minutes (4 min per side)
  • 5 slices of bread, decrusted and cubed
  • 8 eggs and 1/2 cup milk, mixed
  •   savory, black pepper, onion powder sprinkled lightly over each one
  • cooked bacon, cheddar cheese, stirred into each loaf.
  Bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes.


Well, that's a lot, and that's it for my Daybook today. 

2 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Love the new hair cute! Looks great! And, I like both the pink and blue background on the little quilts. And, I'm going to make those Breakfast Sticks and put them in the freezer. Easy breakfast! Happy week!

Shannon M. aka "Auntie" said...

Hi,

Stopping over from the Daybook. I think we're also fellow Hodgepodgers. I like the blue background for the square. Sorry you're snowed in, but I enjoyed your post and pictures. Here's hoping for a warmer week for you.