Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year, Hodgepodge Style



Goodbye, 2013, and Hello 2014.   Glad we're not bidding farewell to the Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Thanks, Joyce, for coming up with questions week in and week out for something like 2 and 1/2 years? 

1. Times Square is the setting for the infamous ball drop signaling a brand new year....when did you last 'drop the ball' on something?

Oh, I suppose I could have planned better for Christmas Eve celebration so that everyone in the family who wanted to attend a Christmas Eve service could do so.  But it was really hard to make that happen since the kids, my sister, and we and we go to five different churches, and the services were at 6 different times.  I didn't get to go, nor did my daughter, and that was disappointing.


2. What is one thing you resolved to do in 2013 that you actually did?

Made a  craft room for myself when my daughter moved out.


3. Jack London is quoted as saying, "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." Agree or disagree? Why? 


With a club? Sheesh!  That sounds violent.  Considering that the meaning of inspire is to 'breathe into," then going after inspiration with a club sounds akin to beating a respirator with a baseball bat. 

Inspiration can't be forced, only encouraged.  You can wait for it, and usually must.  A person can posture herself where it's more likely to happen, but even then the mind and heart have to be open, ready to "breathe in."  


4. What was the best thing you ate in 2013?


Believe it or not,  fruit.   This year  I had some of the best fruit I ever remember--all at different times. I had an amazing, perfectly-ripe pineapple, a divine  avocado,  the sweetest clementine.

The best cooked or baked thing was Blueberry French Toast Breakfast Casserole, made by a gourmet chef and baker in my Ladies' Bible study. We all brought something to our annual brunch and that was, hands down, the best thing I ate this year. 

5.  Share an anti-resolution...that is, something you plan to keep on doing in the new year.

Brushing my teeth, taking a daily shower, driving the speed limit.  Beyond the basics of hygiene and good citizenry, I plan to keep on volunteering in my daughter's classroom once a week.  She needs and appreciates the help, and I get my kid-fix and schoolteacher-y fix.  


6. The Pantone color of the year for 2014 is radiant orchid.  Like or no like? Would I find this color anywhere in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in this shade to either?


I love it, love it, love it! You will find almost every shade of purple in my wardrobe, but not sure I have that exact one.  Not much in the home; my decor is more earth-and-spice tones.  No doubt I will add Radiant Orchid to my wardrobe. Doesn't it sound glorious?

7. In three words or less sum up your 2013.

Peace through grief.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

My son Ben and his wife just bought their first home! I am so happy for them. 

The contract on the one that they had first chosen (a townhouse)  was contingent on an inspection for structural soundness. My husband and I weren't thrilled with the location, but we prayed a lot and didn't say much. Two days before Christmas, the inspector found close to $30,000 in termite-damaged wood, so the kids walked away.  

 I was excited for the next thing they'd find because, when praying, I pictured a small brick rancher in a quiet neighborhood. 

Lo and behold, the next house they fell in love with was a small brick rancher in a quiet neighborhood!  There's a wood fence and some pretty trees and a level lot, ready for a swingset when the time comes.   It had another contract on it, but the sellers appreciated the letter my DIL wrote, stating they'd love to raise their family there.  And the home is walking distance from our daughter, so they will be able to hang out frequently together.  If all goes as planned, they'll settle on the 24th and be in by the 31st! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like and agree with your answer concerning 'inspiration'.

So happy about your son's new house! It's amazing how things work out, isn't it?

Happy New Year!

Joyce said...

Congratulations to your son and dil! How exciting! I remember our first house with much love...made me feel officially a grown up : ) Happy 2014 Zoanna...hoping this is the year we share a cup of tea in person!

retired not tired said...

So glad your son found a home that is just right. We still loive in our first house.

Beth Zimmerman said...

As I told Stacy (I Carried a Watermelon) - my hair would have radiant orchid highlights if they would last longer! Those gorgeous shades of pink and purple rinse out so fast! I did fuchsia one time and it lasted less than a week!

About inspiration ... I don't necessarily hunt it down and club it (to death) but I do lasso it from time to time! =) If I can't think of anything to write I can sit down, start typing nonsense and pretty soon the muse shows up! Lasso'd!

Love you! Hoping to stay in touch better now that last year is behind me!