Thursday, June 03, 2010

Oh, Happy Day!

Some of you may know the song.

Oh, happy day, happy day.
You washed my sins away!


Well, today I gave my students the best news they've had in looooong time. Since their Greek posters averaged an A, and since I know that they know the material, and since I have beaucoup cleaning to do before my sister arrives from Texas--cleaning being more valuable than test-making this week--, I announced at dismissal, "Tomorrow: No Greece test!"

One girl said, "Mrs. Zubrowski, you're wonderful!" To which I replied, "I know. Once a year I try to be."
(And the second girl said, "Oh, you've been wonderful about 50 times this year." )

Melt my heart. Over the course of 36 weeks, I guess that means about 1.5 times a week. Not bad for an ogre.

Anyway, cheers and high fives all around the room. We had just come back from a fabulous field trip lunch at Box Hill Pizzeria. We loved the Greek food, the attention from the Greek owners, the memories they made.

But the chant one boy sang cracked me up.

"Oh, happy day, happy day!
You washed my Greek test away!"

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I'd say no test equals cheers for a happy day and a wonderful teacher!!!

Kelly said...

That's really cute, actually. It was always a relief to find a test you were worried about wasn't going to happen. I say "always", but I'm not sure it happened at all in my school career. Wow, Zo - you ARE wonderful!