I have quite the melange of thoughts going on today, so how about a list? It works when no single post on a single topic will do, right?
1. Happy New Year. Wow, is it just me, or does 2015 look like a really big number? Almost sci-fi in the sound. Remember when you were little and couldn't imagine ANY year starting with "2000" because you lived in the 1900's? All the way back in the 1900's, people!
2. Each year in December I begin asking the Lord to give me a word to ponder for the coming year.
A word to help me focus on His will, a word to guide my thoughts and actions, a "big picture" kind of word that encapsulates a whole lot of meaning. The past three years, in order, have been: majesty, peace, and release.
This year the word the word is embrace. I will be posting thoughts on that in the coming week or two.
3. Blogging took a back seat to sewing and quilting in 2014, but that's okay. Making something with my hands, especially for children or sick people, really invigorates me. Using my brain to design, plan, and --ack!--do math, has benefited me tremendously in the process. I have no plan to stop, but only to increase my productivity in the sewing room.
4. That said, I would also like to blog more consistently, which means uploading photos from two cameras--my Nikon and my phone--as I take them. If I get a week behind in uploading and posting, it feels like old news. What is that slogan? "Life comes at you fast."
5. Today was the first day back to school for my son who, in seventh grade, is now taller than me even when I have heels on.
6. The school staff had a very hard Christmas "vacation." Many had the flu or bronchitis. The principal broke her foot and is wearing a boot. My son's Logic teacher is in the hospital with a serious illness. (I would volunteer to substitute in her class, except for two major reasons: A) It's never fun to teach your own kid in public, and B: My husband says I don't have a logical bone in my body.)
7. I'm participating in a 40 Bags in 40 Days decluttering challenge. So far so good. I work at it each day except Sunday. I've purged Christmas wraps, fabric, and craft items on Days 1,2, and 3. Today is Day 4 (remember, not working on Sundays) and I will continue to concentrate efforts in getting junk out of my sewing room that's of no use to me.
That's my melange for this Monday.