Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Trivia and Tragedy in a Holiday Hodgepodge


1.  Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.

Great question.  I'd say if there's one story we tell, it's on Valentine's Day, the day my last baby was born. He was wanted and prayed for, for 10 years.  Believing that God had directed our steps to adopt from China, we proceeded with that way of enlarging our family. 

We were about to mail the adoption application the very day I found out I was pregnant. 

Over the phone I told the news to my husband, who was in shock and disbelief. It took him a few minutes, but once it sank in, he said, "Why don't you call the agency and see if we can adopt a baby and have a biological baby the same year?"  I blurted out, "Why don't you ask ME first??!!" 


2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?

I'm rarely afraid to speak my opinion, and I used to do it quite a bit more often than I do now. I'm more discerning about what needs to be expressed and what isn't so important.  On very significant issues,  I have learned the hard way that speaking my opinion can cost me. But if someone asks my opinion, I freely offer it. Many times it has helped total strangers in a store decide between two options because I tell them why I prefer one thing over another.


3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?

I love those colors, but I had to chuckle about the name "serenity."  It so happens that there is a brand of bladder control pads called Serenity. 

At any rate, my wardrobe features several shades of pink and blue, but my house doesn't, except for my sewing room. I'm sure I'll add something of the color to my wardrobe since I gravitate to them anyway. 


4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?


Tongue in cheek,  Mary in "Away in a Manger" because the "little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes."  Puh-LEASE! The little Lord Jesus was a normal baby who got hungry (and cried, I'm sure), peed his diaper (and cried, no doubt), and had gas pains from when Mary ate broccoli for dinner.  But it sure is a nice thought that I could be the mother of a no-crying newborn!



5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?

I could easily be talked into celebrating National Pastry Day. The last item I purchased from a bakery was a Bear Claw.  I had stopped in to our little town  bakery for an apple turnover. I had such a hankering for a flaky crust with a warm apple center, but they had no apple turnovers. So I settled for the Bear Claw because I love sticky cinnamon rolls.  Our town's  bakery   just this week announced it's closing its door this month forever after 60 years in business. That bakery made my wedding cake 29 years ago in an emergency (which is a story I could tell every year!) . 
I leave the truly light-and-flaky treats to the professionals because I just never mastered the art of making perfect crusts.



6. When it comes to holiday decorating there are many opinions I keep to myself when driving by certain houses that have 12-foot inflatable Santas swaying on the front lawn like they've gotten into the eggnog way too early.  


7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.


I was reading on Facebook a few weeks ago one of those posts featuring texts between parents and kids when autocorrect made some....um...really awkwardly hilarious changes. Laughed so hard the tears ran down my leg. I was wheezing with the occasional scream of laughter. My son finally had to come into the room to see what was so funny. I couldn't show him. 


I have one of my own bloopers.  My son had outgrown some school uniforms, so I arranged with the mother of a younger student to bring them at dismissal one afternoon.  That particular day the boy's father was picking him up.   (We carpool with this family so I have both of their cell phone numbers.)  

When I parked in the pick-up lane, I texted Bob.  OH, but thank GOODNESS I proofread my text before I sent it. 

I meant to write, "Hi, Bob. I have clothes for you." 

 Autocorrect changed "clothes" to "urges."


8.  Insert your own random thought here.


On a serious note, I want to share a tragic event that just happened  Sunday.  I ask you to pray. My husband and I have an old friend who is a youth pastor in the inner city of Baltimore.  He holds Sidewalk Sunday School and he drives the church bus to and from the city to the suburbs where his church is.  People who couldn't otherwise get to church get on his bus. 

This past Sunday a single mother named Miriah dedicated her four young children to the Lord at a special service. The kids (three girls and a boy) range in age from 3-8 .   Miriah was telling Ed (while cleaning up the church kitchen  with him after the luncheon) that she wanted to live for God and raise her children for Him. She had given her life to Christ two weeks ago. 

After the service,  Ed dropped her and the kids off at their home in West Baltimore. Five minutes later someone came to her door. She must have assumed it was Ed returning with something she'd left on the bus. Instead, it was a gunman who shot her in the leg in front of her kids. She turned and began running up the stairs, but he shot her in the back.  Killed her. 

The man fled and has not been captured .No one knows his motive.

But the children are now living with their grandmother in a one-bedroom retirement apartment. Can you fathom this?? I am sick, sad, heartbroken, and angry over this senseless violence. Four young children suddenly orphaned. 

The church has set up a fund to help give Miriah a proper burial, and to take care of the children financially for a while during this terrible time. If you'd like to donate, go here:  
(The oldest boy in the photo is their cousin who jumped into the group and exclaimed, "I want to belong to Jesus, too!" Ed and his wife were so happy they let him stay in the photograph,)






3 comments:

April said...

Zoanna...the story of the lady who got murdered in front of her precious children gave me goosebumps. How horrible and tragic...especially during this time of year. I cannot begin to imagine what her children must be going through. Bless their hearts...will be praying.

Cheryl said...

What a tragic story about the lady being murdered. I will pray for her family. On a lighter note, I loved your last time you laughed story! haha I've read those funny text things too and they are hilarious. I have had my share of them too but I'm not sharing them..hahah

Joyce said...

When parents text always makes me laugh too. Goodness, there is jus so much heartbreak and tragedy in this world, isn't there. I will certainly add these children and their grandparents to my prayers. How difficult that must be.