Monday, June 13, 2011

Hodgepodge: Beloveds, Balderdash, Bugs, and Body Color


Say hello to Joyce after you read the Hodgepodge from my lodge.


My answers may be a bit more on the serious side this time.

1. What is one thing on your bucket list? If you don't have a bucket list, let's pretend you do.
The most important one: learn what it is to forgive, truly forgive from the heart. At the moment I am actively seeking help to change so that I can die in peace. Not that I'm planning to die soon, but one never knows the day nor the hour.

2. What makes a good dad?

In a nutshell, the combined qualities of
the special dads in my life: my father-in-law (pictured here with Ben, 1989), my father (see photo below), and my husband (see photo above).

Not in a nutshell, a good dad is...
a man who loves to spend time with his children and sacrifices his comforts for them, talks to and listens to them , disciplines them in love, protects them from all kinds of dangers--physical, emotional, spiritual--, takes them to church and doesn't just drop them off, shows by example how to care for others, prays for them and with them, is not afraid to be unpopular with his kids in the name of setting boundaries, laughs at their jokes, says "I love you and I'm proud of you" with those exact words, gives them lots of opportunity to find their strengths, provides financial and emotional support for them, maintains a high code of moral conduct,
admits when
he's wrong, asks forgiveness when he has hurt or failed someone, takes his kids places they enjoy going, leads his family, teaches his children skills he has acquired even if they don't want to learn at the time and, above all, loves their mother .

3. Are you afraid of insects? If so, which ones?

Yes, I am. I am creeped out by most things that crawl, hop, buzz, or go "crunch" under foot.


4. We're barbecuing. What's on the grill at your house?

If you mean for Father's Day, probably nothing. My dad is vegetarian and my husband would appreciate a juicy steak. My father-in-law passed away in 1992; if he were here, we'd probably do Polish hot dogs, German potato salad and watermelon on Saturday. Our older sons won't be in town, so that's sad, but we will do something.

I am just feeling sad about the whole thing--most holidays have lost
their appeal to me, frankly-- and all you asked about was what's on the grill. We'll probably end up at an Italian restaurant after church. Or maybe not. I would love to give my honey a day of not thinking about money (which is like asking a bird not to think about flying). Going out for Father's Day lunch where he pays is a bit like asking a mom to do the cooking on Mother's Day. We haven't made plans except to send my dad an Edible Arrangement.

5. Do you believe that playing is more important than winning?
I love to win, but I'd rather lose to a great opponent than beat a lousy one.
Whether it's Scrabble, tennis, or Balderdash, I love stiff competition. I hate to be on teams with people who don't play to win, who "just want to have fun" if points are being kept. I despise games of sheer luck; I hope this attitude changes before my future grandchildren ask me to play CandyLand.

6. Do you tan? Use self-tanners? Visit tanning salons? See your dermatologist once a year?
I tan easily from the waist up, so I look a bit like an upsidedown lightly toasted marshmallow (in more ways than one). Use self-tanners? Heck, no. I have done many a vain thing in my life, and many a tacky thing, but Vain + Tacky = Not Attractive. No tanning salons for me, either. (Can you say "insta-cancer"?) I don't have a dermatologist and hope I won't. I rather enjoy having people mistake me for my daughter's sister.


7. Five years ago I never would have imagine that________
2011 would bring so many tests of my faith, so many heavy things that challenge my beliefs in rapid-fire succession, as well as abundant "feel-good" blessings and opportunities.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today my youngest and I went to the duck pond with stale bread and old Ritz crackers. I needed that...
to watch him delight in seeing a blue heron perch on the pier,
to hear him say "aww, Mom, awww, look at those cute baby geese,"
to let him "lead" me by walking ahead of me, fending off the more aggressive male geese with a curtain rod we took for protection.

(Doesn't everyone use curtain rods in self-defense against fowl play?)

3 comments:

Joyce said...

I love the blue herons! I'm picturing the curtain rod sword..that was creative : )

I love how sometimes the seemingly simple HP questions make us dig deep. That happens to me alot.

TheHouse said...

I totally get your #7.

Cindy Swanson said...

Zoanna, thanks so much for commenting on my hodgepodge post! Your comment about music was beautiful and eloquent. I don't get a lot of comments, so I treasure each one!

And I love, love, LOVE your name.

Blessings,

Cindy @Notes in the Key of Life