Thursday, October 27, 2011

Twelve Thumbs Up: Sweet and Sour Beef Cubes

This recipe was sure a hit with my family of six. I bought the beef already in cubes ("in-cube-ated?) which--believe it or not--happened to be cheaper than buying it whole. Works for me! I put this meal together in literally SIX minutes because I had to run out the door at 3:30.

The meat takes three hours to cook at 250 degrees. I used a Dutch oven and covered it. It was ready and "tender yummy" at 6:30. When my famished son walked in the door from college, he exclaimed, "Man! What smells so good?!" Gotta love hearing that. What's more, when my other son, who claims not to like "sweet with meat" liked this meal so much he took leftovers to work.

I used two onions instead of three, but everything else I made according to the recipe except that I "eyeballed" the measurements in my haste. That's a big reason I prefer cooking over baking. Eyeballing is just fine!

FYI: I read a review of this and the author said it's not nearly as good in the crock pot as in the oven. Good to know.

I love trying new recipes, especially when they turn out to so tasty the family asks for it again--soon!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Joyce said...

Sounds good-thanks for sharing. I love to find new recipes that have been tried and tested by someone : )

Susan Kane said...

I will check it out! The crock-pot gathered dust for so many years, and now it's back!