Friday, June 20, 2008

Take a Stab at New Vocab

True or false? People who don't use their brain cells end up with incurable ringworm.
I don't know the answer. I'm assuming it's false. I made up the question.

At any rate, it's high time I stretch my cranium by learning some new words.

I began tooling around around Miriam Webster.com . Here are some words I found by doing something as bizarre as typing in random letters into the search box. Literally, I would let my fingers type five or so letters, then I'd see what real words came up similar to my crazy, nonsensical spellings.



Take a stab at these. I'll give you multiple choices. Leave your guesses (by letter) in the comment box. Correct answers will be posted on Wednesday evening. Winner gets a prestigious WooHoo from all four of my regular readers!:)



1. wherry a. long, light boat b. shawl made of feathers c. tropical fruit drink



2. buccal a. related to the cheek or mouth b. an alcoholic c. something on a belt



3. flyboy a. small mistake b. fishing lure c. pilot



4. jacal a. clay hut b. Mr. Hyde's alter ego c. Hungarian dance



5. knout a. a nose ring b. vagrant; bum c. a whip for flogging

7 comments:

Leanne said...

I'm not going to take a stab at them because I would embarrass myself royally, but I was thrilled to actually know the answer to one of them! :)

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of "laurie could always use a good humbling" here goes:
1. A
2. B
3. C (at least that's what I call them :) )
4. C
5. A

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you've got of them right! Wanna hint on which ones?

Leanne, relax. I'm telling you, I did not any of these! I was as clueless as you.

zz

Anonymous said...

I meant to say you've got 2 of them right, Laurie!

Anonymous said...

Here are the answers

If you don't want people to know your wherryabouts, take this across the nearest lake all by yourself.

Ny buccal pun probably made no one double over; in fact, most of my humor is tongue-in-cheek.

Had Forrest Gump been into aviation instead of running, would his girlfriend have called after him, "Fly boy, fly!"?

If jackals were gnawing and howling at my door, I'd prefer to be in a stone rancher, not a Mexican jacal.

"I'm gettin'knout o' here before I get a whoopin'!" cried the insolent toehead.

Zoanna said...

I meant "my" not "ny" buccal pun....

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you reminded me to check back. fun!