Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ten Graduation Memories




































It's a beautiful thing when an event you've anticipated and planned for a long time actually turns out better than all your hopes. Such was Stephen's graduation.


My top 10 memories before, during, and after the Big Event.
1. Photographing Stephen on our deck. He's so patient and cooperative.
























2. Decorating the auditorium for the grads: Isaiah, Jaimie, and Stephen. Jaimie's mother, Lisa was a wonderful helper who offered her service to me for seven hours! That was twice as long as I thought the whole thing would take. Lisa was the only one who didn't laugh when I fell off a chair while stretching to attach a sunflower at the nearly 9-foot peak. I was bruised and sore for three days after, which wasn't as long as my kids joked about it. Such a graceful moment.

3. Help from underclassmen, namely Shannan, Sherri, and Katie. They stuck with me through my indecisiveness. They fetched things for me when my achey feet were about to give out. They stayed lighthearted when I was feeling like wiggin' out over the enth detail. What I appreciated most was their candid feedback when I made various suggestions about decorating the podium. Everything we tried was looking frou-frou or partyish. In the end, we all agreed nothing looked as good as leaving it alone.


4. All of the planning that principal Jacob Wilson and director Chris Clancy put into the ceremony. Every word and action appeared to have been carefully selected.
5. Jacob's touching speech. As he took the stage, he was so overcome with emotion that he had to apologize. It was to be the last time he would address graduates at a CDS graduation because he and his family are moving to Ohio.

6. The photo shoot afterwards. The outtakes are far more memorable than the "good" ones by the pro named Tony R. Three people with cameras stood a few yards away taking our pictures. Like a ventriloquist not closing her lips for the performance, I'd tell our family, "Look at Tony and snile. Snile now at Hannah. Now at Eric. Ack to Tony again." My poor mom was so confused'; she didn't know where to look. She didn't know which one was Eric, which one was Tony! Ben scooted out as soon as the pro shoot was over. He was leaving for an Outer Banks vacation with friends., hence the lack of shots with all four of m'babies together.


7. My parents and sister Jill were there. We had perfect seats--second row center, behind short people.


8. Being a "Z" wasn't too bad at this ceremony. There were only three grads!

9. The Mexican food was a big hit, especially with my vegetarian folks. It was
a nod to the wonderful missions
trip the Jr-Sr class had just
taken. After the reception, many volunteers helped
clean up--far more than
I expected. We, the grads'
families, were supposed to have
recruited our own clean-up
crews; I didn't have the courage to \
anyone.I just want them to enjoy it
and not work. I was expecting
to be there till 10 pm. We were out
by 9! Plenty of food, but not too much left over to lug home, which was our collective goal.

10. Best of all? Stephen's valediction. I couldn't have been more pleased. The theme of his speech was "I am the most richly blessed guy I know." He cited the blessing of family, friends, school, and church. He included rich details. He made great eye contact and paused at just the right moments. I could envision him at a pulpit years from now. Just as the New Testament saint Stephen is described, "He, too, has the face of an angel," I said to myself. He was funny, poignant, sincere, poised, articulate. His love for God and His people oozed out of him. Truly my heart was full to overflowing with gratitude for this young man who happens to be our son. .

This is not his speech. It's just a little video Joel took of Stephen with his best friend Eric, who will be a junior next year. He is a godly young man, more mature than most sixteen year olds, whom I foresee leading the high school very well, the way Stephen has. You probably can't understand much of what's being said, but I like to hear their voices and remember them at this age. The six year old's high voice and the sixteen-year-olds' low ones.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Stephen AND you!