Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pleasant Time at the Art Fest

Paul, Joel, and I went to the arts and music festival in downtown Baltimore this morning. It was my loving husband's idea, one which sure beat dejunking the back of the basement.

I really thought there'd be more to it--more vendors, more variety, more eccentricity, really. But there was enough to entertain me for two hours, for sure.

My favorite things:

1) Oil paintings by Karen Trimble. I don't know if the color red, except in blood, has ever made me so emotional. Not like crying, but I couldn't get my eyes off this simple painting of cherries. Wow. She also does paintings of clear glass bottles. No easy feat for most people, but she said it's not that difficult. She teaches classes at her home. I got the info and hinted (no, told) Paul I might like classes for my birthday.

2) Good Elephant Pottery. Classy grey bowls, platters, mugs, vases, and tea light holders. Vendor was an Asian version of Therese G. Wasn't really my style and I can think of better uses for 65 bucks than for a skinny tray.

3) Dyed silk pillows. Wish I'd had $38 to spend on one. Gorgeous and practical--a combo hard to beat. Walked away from it. Waa.

4) Crab cake sliders (mini sandwiches) by Oceanaire Restaurant. Only 3 bucks each. That we did plunk down cash for.

Of course artwork is such a personal thing, but frankly I could not see how some it qualifies. One was a photo of an old lady in a housedress standing in front of her water meter. The guy wanted 200 bucks for "Helen." You've got to be kiddin' me!

The most fun part of the festival was sitting next to Joel as we each did a chalk drawing on the brick sidewalk. It's a contest. You reserve a section (we got a 3x6 foot section each). They give you a brand new set of 24 pastels for free, and you go draw. The theme was Baltimore Old and New. Joel didn't quite get it, but he did a cute drawing of a boy wearing cargo pants. Winner gets $750, 2nd place I forget, 3rd place $100. I used the herringbone pattern of the brickwork to do a quilt in red, white, black, and gold --colors of the Maryland flag. Unfortunately I had opted to wear a long skirt with a slit in the back, so there was only so much ladylike mobility afforded me. (I couldn't have finished the drawing without giving passerby a show they wouldn't pay money to see.) However, I liked the strong graphic nature of the four rows I did complete, and some guy even took a picture of it, which made my day. When I went to turn the pastels back in, the girl said, "Keep them." Yay!

No comments: