Saturday, December 16, 2006

I Got Him Good--Twice!

My husband is a hard one to "get" with a practical joke. Nearly impossible to prank. But I am gloating. I got him twice in one week.

First time: Tuesday. Sarah went for her driver's license. I went with her for the 11:00 appointment. She did beautifully. Thanks for praying. She said the parallel parking was easy--the fastest and easiest time she's ever had with it. And the picture on her license is good, too.

So she was perfectly bubbling when we got in the car to come home. I checked my cell phone; had missed 3 calls--all from Paul. "I guess he's eager to hear," I told Sarah.

"Tell him I failed," she said. "He was so nervous for me."
"Want me to?" I felt a prank coming on. Sarah was driving.

Ring, ring. He answers his cell.
Him: "Hello?"
Me: Hi. Did you call me? I had to turn off my phone in the DMV.
Him: Yeh, I wanted to know how Sarah did.
Me (muffling my voice as if pretending not to embarrass Sarah): Um, it wasn't good.
Him: No? Why? What happened? Was it the parallel parking?"
Me: Yeh, she hit the poles.
Him: I can't hear you very well. She hit the pole? Which one, the back one or the front one?
Me (keeping voice low): Both of them.
Him: Both? You're serious? Aw, man, she must've felt terrible.
Me: She was red in the face and wouldn't look at me. You know how she tries not to cry in public.
Him: Bummer. So she hit both poles?
Me: Yeh, coming AND going.
(Sarah is "losing it" at the wheel.)
Him: I can't hear ya. I'll call ya right back.
Sarah (laughing a hearty belly laugh): "Oh, Mom! You got him. Did he have to hang up?"
Me: Yeh, static or something.

(Ring, ring.)
Me: Hey.
Him: So how is she now?
Me: (can't bear it any more, laughing hard, really hard.) I'm kidding. I am totally kidding. She passed with flying colors.

Him (Silence. Then...) You're bad. I'm gonna kill you. You are SO bad.



Next prank: tonight he was cutting his hair in the bathroom. I thought he looked cute, which would have inspired a picture normally, but I wasn't sure how I'd pull it off. So I was putting away clean socks and underwear. I took a bunch of dark pairs and wadded them up sort of camera shaped. (My camera is a heavy-ish digital SLR, so I made my "wad" look like that. )

Then I held my "camera" the way I always do, popped into the bathroom and "shot" him.

Oh, man, he jerked the scissors and comb down so fast, gave me a threatening look, then I said, "Gotcha!" I licked my first two fingers , held them up and said, "Twice! Twice in one week!" Oh, it feels good.

He said if I ever take a picture of him cutting his hair, he'll take a picture of me cleaning our room.

4 comments:

Sacha said...

Oh Zo! That is so great! Thanks for helping get an A!!! Isn't God so good?!

Anonymous said...

Very funny, especially the first one!w

Anonymous said...

Very fun. Congrats to the new driver.

Anonymous said...

that was me Bethany above...sorry I can not get logged in for some reason.