Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Wonderful

My mom is out of the hospital; she was released on Christmas Eve.

We had a wonderful Christmas:

*I received probably the single best present I've ever gotten in my life. Many of you had a LOT to do with it. You know who you are. It deserves its own post, which will happen very soon.

*My side of the family came over last evening. We haven't had what you'd call the traditional dinner for years, for whatever reason, which is fine. No one seems to mind what's on the menu, as long as it includes cookies. So we had a buffet of build-your-own enchiladas (which do look Christmassy with their white flour tortillas, red enchilada sauce and chopped green onion on top), plus some Spanish rice and applesauce. I completely forgot to take pictures of the family at the table. Waaa. I was too busy enjoying them.

*Paul wanted us to open one gift Christmas Eve. Not ordinary. But then again, these weren't ordinary gifts. He had written special notes for each one of us citing his appreciation for the qualities he sees in each of us, and how God is using us. I'm tellin' ya, it was a Hallmark commercial. Very, very special since he seldom speaks, let alone writes, what he really feels in a warm fuzzy way.

*Funniest memory: My dad often uses old-fashioned expressions in his everyday language. We kid him about things like "groovy" and "swell." And he is very "over the top" with verbal appreciation--a gusher, you could say. Well, he opened a generous gift certificate (yes, the paper kind) to Double T from Sarah. He beamed and said to my mom, "My oh my, Brenda, we can really make out there!" To which I said, "Please don't. Just eat."

So then every time they opened a gift card to some restaurant (perfect for their hobby of eating out), someone would say, "Are you gonna make out there, too?" I teased them that I don't really want to read in the Police Beat of the Pennysaver, "Local retired couple caught making out in a string of area restaurants."

More later about the BEST TANGIBLE GIFT I'VE EVER GOTTEN BESIDES MY BIBLE. IT's EVEN BETTER than my CAMERA!!!"

7 comments:

Karen Hevesy said...

really good news about your mom!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great Christmas. I can't wait to hear about your best gift!

Anonymous said...

Glad your mom's out of the hospital! Can't wait to hear about your best gift ever! ;) Isn't Sarah the most thoughtful daughter!

Anonymous said...

That was me, oops!

Anonymous said...

I just added your 2 blogs to my links on my blog. I wish that reading them will be a blessing for those understanding english. If you think that it could useful for some people you can add mine too, as it's written in English too. But obviously it's up to you. I wish you a very good day.

Anonymous said...

awe....great news to hear. God Bless your mom, and your family in the new Year.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a long comment before the previous one, but it seems that it didn't be registered on your blog. So I try to write it again. I told that I was so glad to read how you celebrated Christmas. It's a priviledge to discover you family. Thank you so much for your writing about them and to put on photos sometimes.
We were all together too, 3 generations, but my husband and I were the older (not so old although!) We also were from 3 continents together, as some of our children were born far away in different countries, before joining our family, as our son-in-law. Is it not a nice parable for Christmas? Did I already tell you that my husband is a Baptist pastor in France?
Now I have a prayer : would you mind to give me your postal address so that I can send little tokens of friendship from France? I would be so thankful for your confidence. Just write you address on my e mail box at the top of my blog.