Saturday, March 03, 2007

Coffee Table Tale

I advertised a Queen Anne coffee table for sale in the local Pennysaver this week and got about five calls.

The call that turned into a sale went something like this:

Nancy (calls at 10:45 pm Thursday night while we're listening to Stephen rehearse his government speech. "Let it go," Paul says,after seeing a strange number. (The caller leaves a message that it's about the coffee table, apologizing for the lateness of the hour.) I return her call at 10 the next morning.

"Will you be home today so we can come look at it?" I think of errands, house cleaning, carpool, youth group, Children of Zion at Mt. Zion.

"I'll be in and out, but the best window of opportunity will be from 4:15 to 5:30, if you'd like to come by during that time."

They came at 4:15 on the nose and I thought it might take 10 minutes tops. You either want the table or you don't. Well, they came in, I ushered them to the living room and for some reason blurted out the reason we're selling it. "We are trying to simplify our lives and at the same time my daughter and I are raising funds for a trip to Russia."

"May I sit down?" asks Tom. He's about 70, she's probably a bit younger, but weak and winded.

"Certainly," I said, "Make yourselves comfortable."

"Well, this is very comfortable furniture," Tom says, and Nancy does some "mmhmming" . "Yes, it is," she agree, stroking the top of the sofa. I wanted to say, "It's not for sale," but instead I say, "This is my nappin' couch. I come here to get away and I read here every morning."

"Russia, eh? What're you going there for?" says Tom.

" A missions trip," I say, "My daughter is graduating this year and wants to care for orphans with me."

"We're Christians, too," he says, and they seem to settle in for the afternoon. Neither mentions the coffee table.

Before long, Tom told me his testimony: when he was 38, had all the world could offer him--successful law practice, big house in the 'burbs, nice cars, you name it. But he had no hope and was planning his own death. He recounted the Friday that was to be his last, as he planned. He took his daughter, then a teen, to the dentist. In the waiting room was a smattering of Christian literature. He picked up two pieces: one a Chuck Colson "Born Again" comic book, the other Power of Praise. He got absorbed in the latter but coudlnt' take it home, so he stopped by Waldenbooks after the appointment.

"I walked into Waldens and right there on display was Power of PRaise, and there was a light shining on it. What are the chances?"

"In Waldenbooks? Supernatural," I said.

"I couldn't read, I had no peace, andn couldn't put the book down. Read it all night, and reread some parts. Next morning I got down on my knees and prayed to God. I don't even know what I said, but told him I was desperate. I was Catholic all my life but this was the first real pray I prayed to God with my heart. Went about my day, nothing felt different, so I called a Chrsitian TV hotline and told I prayed but it didn't work." (He explained that he meant there were no feelings, he didn't feel changed. The TV lady prayed with him adn told him he was definitely a new creation, saved by God's grace. Feelings didn't validate or change truth." He told his wife to join him for a country drive and on the way, he told her of his prayer and "suddenly in the car, as I drove and told her this, I felt a peace come over me like I'd never known. I knew it's what I'd been missing all my life. I was a changed man. I started going to every Bible study I could find, and learn all I could. Unfortunately for some groups it was their mission to get Tom to stop being Catholic. Finally I had to say, "if you want me to stop being Catholic, then pray and ask God to show me why. Otherwise I'm going to have to leave because you're making me very uncomfortable. So they prayed, and I researched and I found my answer at a monastery library. I looke up basic Catholic doctrine in the official Catholic encyclopedia, and it said that Mary was immacutely conceived, she lived a sinless life, she is a co-redeemer with Jesus, and a co-mediator. Well, I got up and walked around the the library and came back and reread that, walked around again. This monastery was Trappist [sp?] which meant they didnt' talk, they just prayed , read, what have you. That's okay, I didnt' want anyone to explain it. I t was in plain ENglish. I had found the reason I could no longer be Catholic since I knew the real doctrines of the Catholic church. I'm not saying a person can't be Catholic and Christian, I am saying I couldn't because now I knew the truth of the Bible and compared it to the Catholic encyclopedia of doctrine. And that was just the doctrine of the immaculate conception! Since then it's been my mission to get my family saved before they die."

I must've raised my eyebrows when he said "get my family saved" because he added, "I mean, God does the saving, but I am determined to do all I can to lead them to Him."

Okay, this is truly a wonderful way to spend an afternnoon, having biblical fellowship with total strangers. Of all the myriad Harford County residents who wanted to look at my coffee table, I was blessed with a talkative, intelligent, ex-Catholic Christian and his quiet wife. They didn't mention the table until 5:00. "Well, honey, what do you think of the table?" Tom asked her enthusiastically.

"I like it. I like that it's oval and dark wood."

They asked if I had a young man to carry it to the car .

"Matter of fact, I have two. I'l get the bodybuilding son from the front yard," I said, and Ben came in and seemed to lift the table up and out with one hand.

Meanwhile each of them needed a turn in the bathroom, and I had to humble myself to flush the toilet first and apologize for a little boy who still needed training.

As Nancy was getting cash out to pay me, Tom said, "Honey, give her an extra five. They're going on a mission trip."

They pulled out of the driveway at 5:30.

6 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Well now, that's some tale. What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing it with us and allowing us to live it vicariously. It is as though we too, could witness the Grace in that scene. Thank you.

About Catholicism. Here are the thoughts that your story spurred.

All I humbly believe is that Jesus loves me and calls me daily to love Him and be a testimony of that love to others, through the happy, singing soul He gave me and nourishes daily, and through the way of loving that He inspires me.

If you want to worship Jesus in France, you ll be finding a Catholic church 95% of the time (especially in Paris and Northern France, which as you know is where I live ;) ).
So, let us just say I do not share ALL the views of my church. I am uneasy about saints and angels. I try to tackle that with humility - saints and angels are something that I haven't been able to fully understand yet. I pray and trust that God will show me the truth on this some day, in due time. In HIS due time.

But - I am very happy in my parish. The people are wonderful and there is a beautiful, deeply Christian spirit. It is called "Saint Joseph of the Nations", and truly lives by its name.
I could not do without the contemplative atmosphere there is in a Mass.

I attended services in Protestant churches in the US and it was all too much conversational for me - very nice and friendly, but - something was missing.
Then one Sunday the Methodist pastor started to crack some jokes at the nearby Baptist church during a sermon - like, "we are so much better Christians than *they*!"
That was it for me. I never came back.

Of course, I am sure I was unlucky in my experience, and certainly never thought that was how all Protestant services were! Far from it. But the beauty and contemplation of a sincere Catholic service helps me pray and worship Jesus from the bottom of my heart to the top of my voice.

This has been an ongoing meditation ever since I asked for baptism 10 years ago.

That is not to defend my own "way" in any manner, far from it. I just wanted to exchange thoughts with you on that matter.
I have been wanting to share those thoughts with you for a long time (I had an email for you in my drafts folder about that). So consider it one of the many emails I've been meaning to send you lately. If I had time I'd probably be emailing you daily anyway!
I hope you do not mind my writing it in a comment. I think I'll email it to you, too! :)


On a totally irrelevant note, do I look pregnant in my latest blog entry? Somebody just asked in the comments whether that meant I was pregnant. I wish!! *Laughing out gently*

Have a beautiful Sunday, my dear friend. It is so sunny here inside and out, if you see what I mean. I wish you the very same!

Joe said...

Great story and a great afternoon.

Anonymous said...

What a touching story, Zoanna!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a story! You always have the neatest stories/connections with complete strangers! Must be something about you that makes people open up.

Zoanna said...

Isabelle, my sweet, sweet friend: I somehow thought this conversation on Catholicism would spark something in you, one of my few Catholic readers (that I'm aware of). I , too, LOVE the solemn atmostphere in a Catholic church, where there is quiet reverence (and great acoustics. I much prefer instruments and vocals without a sound system but it's hard to pull off in most places).
Since I didnt' grow up Catholic I had no real understanding of their fundamental doctrines, and I honestly think many Catholics don't (nor Protestants, for that matter). So Tom's studious method to find out answers for himself led him to the official source and he compared it to THE OFFICIAL source of Truth, the Bible. He spurred me to research Catholic doctrine for myself. I am also interested in doctrines of other faiths so that I communinicate intelligently and knowledgeably with others. I would LOVE to visit your church and hear YOU sing!!! My Ben is signing up for a missions trip with YWAM to FRANCE in JULY! CAn I come along in his suitcase?!! Anyway, this is rambling but I am in full confidence that you have a sweet and earnest relationship with Jesus.
As for the shirt you made,I did have to say when I opened the picture, I immediately thought, "She's pregnant!" but then didn't think you'd announce it that way. It's the empire waist that does it. Don't be surprised if total strangers ask you the question or pat your belly (if they are so rude in France. I hate it in America. I did NOT like being belly-rubbed. I am not a golden retriever!)
Anyway, DO send me your emails. Dont' worry about editing, please! ANd dont' send me any sewn gifties until you've gotten mine!!! It might be August!

Zoanna said...

Joe, Beth, DAnielle-Thank you. It was quite a memorable afternoon. This guy would've opened up to a can of tuna and talked. I don't think it's anything special about me. Maybe people can sense when I'm genuinely interested (which I was because I love to hear testimonies and I enjoy learning about doctrine). But anyone can do that.