Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Morningstar Sausage and Mushroom Medley

Here's a quick (12 minute?) Vegetarian Appetizer or main dish (depends on your hunger level)

Serves: 2-3

Recipe by: me (Zo Z.)

Ingredients:

1/2 bag (about 6 oz) Morningstar Meal Starter, Sausage Style (from freezer case; it's crumbled and pre-cooked)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
2 handfuls watercress
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup thick salsa (I used Old
El Paso Wild for Mild Thick 'n Chunky)
1 stale steak roll, sliced into 1/2 inch thick discs
2 slices Swiss cheese, cut into squares to cover each "disk"
salad oil or butter (I used oil since I was out of butter)

Directions:
Toast the stale bread. In a large skillet saute the 'shrooms and onions in oil or butter.
When the shrooms are almost soft, add sausage and salsa. Stir till hot and then scoot the mixture to one side of skillet. Toss in watercress.

Add toasted rolls slices to the empty side of the skillet (may need to add butter first). Heat the bread slices a couple minutes on one side, flip them over, top each one with the hot mushroom mixture and cheese on each one. Cover a minute with lid if you want cheese to melt faster.

It'll be a bit sloppy; don't worry about it. "It all ends up in the same place," as my dad used to say when my mom's food presentation flopped. (Seldom happened, but no one's perfect.)

Plate it and enjoy. I thought it went well with Chinese beer, but I'm sure whatever suits your palette will be just fine.

I thought it was 4.5 stars. Paul picked at it and approved with 'mmmmms' but I didnt' ask for stars. All the kids are elsewhere for dinner tonight, so no rating from them.
Try it--you brave , adventurous food lovers--and tell me whatcha think.

This makes 4 new recipes tried for 2007. My goal is 27.

No comments: