Saturday, December 15, 2007

10 Items or Less? NO!

Grammarians don't write express lane signs.

Walk into any grocery story (except Giant) and you'll see signs that say, "10 Items or Less." They should say, "10 Items or Fewer."

Why? Because you can count items. Four calling birds, three French hens, two turtledoves. Count them.

With regard to the grocery store, they might be Cornish hens, but you could still count them, and if you were to put three on the checkout belt, you'd better not put more than seven of anything else on it. Not in these here parts anyhow.

With the impending ice storm, you run out to the store for bread, milk, and toilet paper. You reach the checkout and unload the gallon of milk onto the conveyor belt.
Rather, you mean to, but it slips out of your hand and bursts open on the floor. Milk seeps out, ounce by liquid white ounce. Now there is less milk in the jug and more on the floor. If you were to count the ounces, you would have fewer ounces of milk, but less milk. Get it?

You then request a book of stamps. To replace the milk, you ask? No, although that's a perfectly logical guess, but not quite where I'm headed with this grammar lesson.

The book of stamps has twenty stamps. Woops! Last time I checked, twenty stamps is roughly ten more than the ten items allotted in the express lane. Oh, you say, it's just one book, so you're okay.

Next time I'm in the express lane with ten items or fewer, I think I'll kindly (smugly?) tell the lady in front of me--the one buying a four-pack of Starbucks Frappucino and a box of powdered donut holes-- to move to the regular checkout lane. I just know from a quick count that there are more than six munchkins in that box.

On the other hand, if there's a man in front of me with a dozen roses, I'll smile and think, "How romantic." More flowers, more love. Fewer flowers, less love. (Not that I've EVER thought about love in such quantifiable terms or anything.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's official. YOu're KOOKY:) I luv ya anyway! I must say though, I am very aware of what I say/write around you. You're the "Grammar Police". (You're poor kids:)

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are her poor kids. Which is probably why I noticed that "You're poor kids" should be "Your poor kids" (Sorry, I couldn't resist that!)

It's scary, I'm turning into my mom sooner than I should be! Thankfully it's paying off in college so far so I can't complain too much.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah. Thats' what I get for writing a comment on you're mother'''s blog. (Just kidding. The funny thing is, I was going to purposely use apostrophes wrong in the last comment and changed my mind. Guess I did it anyway.) Im' sure i use'd them "good" this time, right? :)

Zo, aren't you glad I only teach Joel Art???

Zoanna said...

Marie, I am so sad when people say that (that they watch what they say or write around me). But I understand. It must be like me when I'm talking to science nerds or computer geeks or health freaks.They just have it together in their own "department" and it intimidates me. But really, I'd rather get a poorly punctuated note or comment than none at all. Or an email riddled with mistakes. I just cringe when I see mistakes like this commercially or coming from a publication at school or church where the standards should be high. But for my friends? Nah....just keep talkin', keep writin', no matter how it sounds.

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Very clever too.

Vicki said...

Zo, all these lessons and I still don't know how to write the sentence correctly:
I am going to my parent's house for Christmas.
or is it
I am going to my parents house for Christmas...
I am hopeless...

Zoanna said...

Tori, you are so funny.

ABout the sentence, do you have one or two parents? I assume two, or you would have said "my mom's house" or "my dad's house," right?

Do this little check.
Who does the house belong to?
Parents.
Plural. So put the apostrophe after the one or ones who own it.
Parents' house. (I wouldn't put an additional "s" on it because you'd have to pronounce it "parent-ses." Dumb.

The exercise is always the same.
You have one cat. It's the cat's toy.
Two cats, one toy? Cats' toy.
Two cats, more than one toy? Cats' toys.
Lots of children singing? Children's voices. Children apostrophe.
This one cracks me up when I see it:
Pastor's wives.

Vicki said...

SOOOOO helpful... thanks!

Anonymous said...

Tsk, tsk on me. I went back and saw my own worst grammatical enemy: who/whom. I should have said, "Whom the house belong to?" or "To whom does the house belong?" (a wording that's personally awkward, so I tend to avoid it). I have to think quite hard about the who/whom thing every stinkin' time.

Anonymous said...

Whom DOES the house belong to? See, I can't even NOT correct my own mistakes. It's annoying to be OC about some stuff.