Thursday, October 21, 2010

Next Project?

Seems like there's always something calling for attention around the house. All of our "big" projects are pretty much done, except for one: the kitchen. Stuck in the 80s with ugly cabinets, a shortage of drawers, terrible lighting, and minimal counter space, it screams for more than attention. Like a baby, it's begging to be changed.

But it's just going to have to wait. We won't go into debt again for things we want, and right now the big bucks have to go toward college tuition. I am amazed that I have not had a major meltdown about this kitchen since it's the hub of the home, and because I enjoy cooking. That's the grace of God because I tend to become discontent quickly, especially when I compare the spaces I work in with the spaces others work in. I am amazed that I haven't fought a major case of jealousy because so many of my friends have bright, beautiful kitchens where they can spread out, stock up, and swing dance. (Okay, so just a couple of my friends could swing dance in their kitchens, but my imagination goes wild when I consider the possibilities. Not that Paul and I would take up swing dancing if you installed a kitchen the size of the Dallas-Fort Worth airport.)

Perhaps what keeps me grounded about not having my dream kitchen are the myriad decisions that a major overhaul requires. It's easy for me to become visually overwhelmed. I'd rather see 10 choices that I can narrow down to 3, 2, and 1, instead of starting with 35 choices to narrow down to 24, 15, 11, 8, 5, 3, 2, and 1. Paint, flooring, lighting, cabinetry, windows, sinks, faucets, counters, hardware, appliances. (Thankfully we don't need new appliances!) Those decisions drive me bonkers!

Tell me what you love about your kitchen, and what you'd like to change. Then chime in on what your next home project is, big or small.

6 comments:

Jan said...

When you do remodel, avoid that under-the-counter shelving where the upper shelf comes all the way to the front. You have to get on the floor "G.I. Joe" style to retrieve anything from the back of the bottom shelf. Much better if the upper shelf fills only the back half of the space. (Does that make any sense at all?)
You can't swing dance in my kitchen, but I love my counter space, and the roomy drawers under both the built-in cooktop and built-in oven.

Laurie said...

You're funny! Our kitchen is big and open, not for swing dancing (I wish!), but for possible future wheelchair accessibility! I like the open plan which allows for many hands (and other body parts)!
But if I were to change anything, I'd redesign and remodel for accessibility, which means for "wheel-up" accessibility! I think about it and dream about it (and feel unthankful), but it would be so fun to design a accessible and "cool" kitchen!
"Accsessibility" seems to be the word, huh?!
(But first the master bathroom/dressing room needs to be reworked, but like you, I become overwhelmed with choices! I have ideas, but decisions are difficult!)
I crack up at the idea of our guys taking up swing dancing!!

Diane said...

I echo Jan's comment about the undercounter shelves - mine are the half shelves and it makes life easier!

Be aware of traffic patterns in the kitchen - can someone not involved in cooking dinner come in and get a soda without disrupting the cook? My fridge is in the far corner from the entrance to the kitchen - hard to reach without being handed potatoes to peel!

In lieu of a table (my flat is in a house built in 1920 - my kitchen is about 15 x 12!) I have a moveable island with a butcher block top and a drop leaf. It can be used as an impromtu breakfast bar, or rolled over to the counter to provide a slicing station for Sunday's roast. It's a great height for rolling out pastry or cookies (no bending over!), or, in my case, for cutting out quilts!

Anonymous said...

We have an open kitchen. I like that it is big and we have a huge island for when we have potlucks at our house. But it is not ideal for Chinese cooking since the smells go all over. No projects in the near future but we would probably work on the hallway bathroom first. It is too small and I am pretty sure the floors are the originals from 1942. =p

One More Equals Four said...

I LOVE my big open kitchen...although it is DEFINITELY stuck in the '80's. Would love to redo cabinets and countertops but that won't be in the budget for a LONG time! the one thing I don't like is actually too much counter space...my counters become the dumping spot for EVERYTHING that walks in the door and always look cluttered.

Rachelle said...

I love my in cabinet, heavy duty drawers. I have 3 drawers in 2 different (lower) cabs and they hold a TON of stuff-including large pots and pans. I also love my good lighting-which is in "layers": recess, pendant and under-cabinet.
Next project: after 2+ years of building...rest.