Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Simple Woman's Daybook 1.29.11

Another slice of life through the prompting of The Simple Woman's Daybook.

Outside my window... snow, snow, and more snow. The landscape has been a white background with tall, grey tree lines for a week and a half now, with more predicted for middle of next week. I like it, but I'm pretty well over winter.

I am thinking...that thinking good thoughts is a constant battle for me on good days, but today I'm on the front lines. It's dark inside this hole of physical and emotional pain and loneliness. Certain important people in my life who I thought would have called or checked in on me have not.

I am creating...nothing.


I am wearing...pajamas that don't quite look like pajamas so that I can greet guests (few as they are) in them w/o embarrassment. The top is a fushia thermal undie type with Henley neckline and button-cuffs. Pants are charcoal grey thick sweats that sit high enough not to bother my incisions.

From the kitchen...My sister Jill (a perpetually perky fitness instructor) came by with a huge lot of fresh fruit (by my request--I'm not shy to share my desires!) and made a ginormous fruit salad of pineapple, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, melons, mandarins, bananas....looking forward to having some here in a bit. And at 5:00 my dear sweet, friend Melanie is bringing a dish of chicken stuffed with spinach and goat cheese! Food from others is a big pick-me-up, I gotta say!



From the learning room: ummm, getting about 4 subjects/day in lately. My mental stamina ain't up to much more. He has almost memorized the capitals of all five Scandinavian countries:) A geography lover after my own heart.

I am reading Voices of the Faithful, the Bible, and a ton of dog-rescue sites with various dogs' write-ups. (Not that the dogs did the write-ups...). I am hoping someone brings magazines to me at church via my family. (I'm not up to going just yet, physically, though I'm desperate for an outing!) I just want some fluff.

I am going to look into becoming a volunteer at a local nursing home when I'm back in action. The Lord has, once again, opened my eyes to the suffering of shut-in life. I'd like to do something to usher in a little hope and sunshine to old folks (without getting into the medical part; that's not my thing).



A few plans for the rest of the week: lay around. How's that for a plan?


I am hoping...that my nausea does not return. Imagining throwing up with multiple tiny incisions in my abdomen just makes me more nauseated.


I am hearing...the hum of the washing machine. Work is happening that I don't have to coordinate or supervise. Yay!


A picture thought I am sharing... These bushes form a natural fence between my and my neighbor's front yards. When I saw this grouping of tall evergreens, it made me smile. To me it looks like a huddle of neighborhood guys in green snowgear under the guise of strategizing the next football play. What they're really saying is, "L-l-l-et's ssstttttay-t'geththththther, gggguys. It's ffffrreeeezzzzing out here!"

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

I have magazines I can send, it is really inexpensive as they can be sent media mail. My rural carrier, who lost his wife, gives me any women's mags that have not run out of subscription.
Family Circle:
Nov 10, Dec 10, Feb 11
Women's Day:
Jan 11
Ladies Home Journal:
Jan 11, Feb 11
Guidepost:
Nov 10, Dec 10, Jan 11
Taste of Home:
Oct/Nov 10
Above Rubies:
Issue 80
Texas:
Oct 10

Let me know if you want anything or all.