Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hodgepodge Wednesday: Of Luck, Green, and Pi

Wednesday, March 16, 2011



Top o' the Mornin' to ya, folks! Kisses to the Irish who want my kisses, and simple best wishes to those who don't:)



1. What would you do if you found a pot of gold? Let's pretend that pot of gold is worth exactly $1500 (which would actually be more like a cup of gold at current values). Anyway, let's also pretend you have to spend it as opposed to making a donation somewhere. Now, tell me what you would do with that cup pot of gold?

I'd start redecorating my living room by buying a new sofa and a pair of chairs. Of course, that means I'd have to find quite the bargain, but I'm sure I could do it. I have a smidge of Irish in me!



2. Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day in any way, shape, or form?

I don't put forethought into it, but I might make some pancakes in the shape of four-leaf clovers for breakfast and--now that you mention it--perhaps make Reubens for dinner. My husband just loves to take his corned beef and sauerkraut in sammie form! And I might even enjoy a cold Killian's after church tonight, good Baptist that I am (not).

3. Have you been bitten by the Spring Cleaning bug? What spring cleaning job most needs doing at your house? What spring cleaning job are you most dreading?

I've been bitten, but more for organizing and decluttering, because (as Fly Lady says) "you can't clean clutter." When I spring clean,per se, I dread cleaning anything not at eye level. So take your pick--ceiling fans, base cabinets, top of fridge, under sinks. If you're doing the math, that amounts to about 2/3 of my house that I dread cleaning, in spring or any other season.



4. lime-shamrock-sage-forest....your favorite shade of green?


Sage. Half of my first-level walls are painted sage, and the carpet in the living/dining room area is sage. My bedroom border paper has mixed greens. I love to wear green also, and eat green, and have started more and more to "go green."

5. Thomas Jefferson once said, "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." So... do you believe in luck or do you believe we make our own luck?

I don't believe in luck. I believe that God is in control of all things, and while things might appear to be lucky, I think that God is showing favor in that given instance, or letting one have what he's asked for in His sovereign will to work that "lucky thing" to His overarching plan for that person or to simply bless them. One time my hubby stuck around after a 5K race for prizes, and he won (by "luck of the draw") an all-expenses paid trip for 2 to Tampa, Florida. It was a second honeymoon for us, and a much-needed time away as lovers since we'd become 88% parents of toddlers. Our marriage needed that "luck" which was really, as I said, God's favor on us. Truth be told, it's one of pet peeves to hear Christians say "good luck." Or worse yet, "Good luck and God bless." Huh? That's like saying, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." But I'm getting too serious about a silly question here.
I do believe that most people who work hard and are wise with the rewards of their labor will experience blessings that lazy, ignorant, or foolish people will not. That's biblical.


6. Monday (3/14) was Pi Day. Get it? 3/14 is Pi Day. Those math types are so clever, aren't they? Since I'm not one of them tell me what's your favorite piE (the edible kind)?

Do I have to pick just one? It's a toss-up between apple and Coconut Cream, but okay, it has to be Coconut Cream Pie. It's also my dear hubby's favorite, and I feel like I've served him up a pot o' gold when he eats a homemade c.c.pie for his birthday or Thanksgiving.

7. That same date (3/14) was also the birth date of the late physicist, Albert Einstein. I bet he knew the value of pi. What do you think is more important and/or valuable in life...intelligence or common sense?

I highly value intelligence and like hanging around smart people and animals, but there's really no substitute for common sense. And as they say, common sense isn't so common.

8. Insert your own random thought here...

I wonder what Einstein's favorite pie was? Probably Jewish Apple. (Oh, wait, that's cake, not pie.) Also, was it just "luck" that this genius mathematician was born on 3.14 ? I say no. God handpicked that date just for little Albert to enjoy being associated with for the length (circumference?) of his life. (One's life is a circle, after all, and not a straight line.)

Cheers to you for a Happy St. Patrick's Day! Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow ...is nothing special.

5 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

You are hysterical! I always enjoy your entries. Really liked your answer to #5 and agree and your random thought was great "icing on the cake." Blessings to you this day!

Mary said...

Laughing at your #8!

Joyce said...

Your answers were fun to read today! You're funny : )

Laurie said...

Remember Nels? You can tell he's in a good mood (often) when his greeting is "Top O' the mornin' to ya!"

Question: Did you wear green TODAY? I LOVE your spirit! I really do!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Ruebens are my favorite, what time should I come over? That bug needs to stay away from me, I so don't want to clean my house. I love sage green too. My husbands favorite is coconut cream. I really like all kinds of pies.