Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Dr. Seuss's Birthday, Thinking, and Sarcasm


Once again, some great questions from Joyce.

1. March 2nd is Dr. Seuss's birthday so I'm wondering...do you like green eggs and ham? Okay-how about this...how do you like your eggs? Or don't you?




I do not like green eggs and ham, not on plane, not a train. Well, okay, ham I like but not green eggs. I prefer mine white and yellow and either over-medium or scrambled. Eggs give me the protein lift I need in the morning to keep me from being too hungry by 10 a.m. Oh, and I LOVE Dr. Seuss. The most memorable book is not one that's often quoted from. Remember Yertle the Turtle?



My dad, who is a good artist, created huge poster-size visuals from this book for a children's sermon on pride that he gave when I was a third grader. (Of course, the adults always paid very close attention to the children's sermons, which I think was the idea.) I grew my love for words, in large part, by hearing my parents read Dr. Seuss to me.



Okay, so the question was more about eggs...:)

2. Is March coming in like a lion or something less ferocious where you live?
I would say it's coming in like a lion cub who is playing with a lamb. Cold air and sunshine.

3. Do you work better or worse under pressure?

Depends on the type of work, but usually I'm better under pressure. Housework--pressure, for sure. Tell me you'll be swinging by in 20 minutes and I can fly through the main level, tidying up. Tell me you'll be here in three weeks, and I'll wait till the day before and then go postal on everyone. With creative work such as writing, decorating, or making a gift for someone, I need more think time, and the results are better if I've given myself time to correct mistakes.


4. March Madness-are you a fan? It's college basketball in case you're wondering. And if you're outside the USA tell us, is there any sort of 'madness' taking place during March in your part of the world?

Yes and no. I couldn't tell you who's playing well this year, which is the "no" part of the answer, but when I sit down to watch the Final Four, then "yes," I call myself a fan. I mostly get caught up in my husband's and sons' excitement. I like basketball because 1) I understand the rules (I used to cheer for basketball games in high school) and 2) it's fast and 3)not too many people get hurt for life playing this sport, and 4) I like high numbers on a scoreboard. I mean, if you're going to play something for an hour and a half or more, why not rack up points in the 75-100 range? I could never understand why soccer games have goals that are only one stinkin' point apiece. All that sweat for what?


5. Under what circumstances do you do your best thinking?

Great question. I do my best thinking usually when I'm alone and am not bogged down with emotional issues. Mornings between 8 and 9 a.m. are typically quiet "think times," as are times when I'm driving a good ways to a familiar place. I don't think as well when working with dominant personalities. I tend to say "yes" and then regret it because I felt pressured to do things their way, even if I had it all thought out ahead of time how things should go. But I am also a quick thinker on the spot when Plan B is necessary. I grew up learning the art of "making do," which is one of the best things my parents ever taught me.

6. What item of clothing from your wardrobe do you wear most often?

A bra. Pretty much a daily, 4-season, must-have, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer.

7. Do you use sarcasm?

I try not to. At one point in my life, it was a chronic form of communication for me, and I thought it was funny. But somewhere, long ago, a wise counselor and speaker at some seminar addressed the issue of sarcasm in marriage and family dynamics. What he conveyed about it being rooted in anger and cynicism has stuck with me. Regardless of how it sounds to you coming out of your mouth, it almost always sounds harsh or biting to others. I hate it when others use sarcasm; I prefer direct, gracious speech.

8. Insert your own random thought here. When I'm happy, it shows in my kitchen. I cook more creatively, I care about presentation, and everything is clean and mostly organized. Lately I've been happy. However, I fight to remain happy (is that an oxymoron?) when I've worked hard to make a meal, time it right, and then wait and wait for people to come to the table when called. When I say it's time to eat, I don't want lollygaggers. I want appreciative eaters.

And with that, it's time to put tonight's dinner in the crockpot.

3 comments:

krista said...

Tee hee...lollygaggers. I echo this sentiment. I'd much rather have everyone seated and I'm bringing the last dish to the table than to call 4 times and then be the first one sitting, food growing cold by the second. (Can you tell that I really REALLY dislike faintly lukewarm food? It's probably a form of idolatry in my heart.)

What a fun post! I already rambled so I may just post my answers separately. :-)

Katie said...

Thanks for the compliments! I need more people in my life who appreciate my sense of humor. I love your answer to number 2...a lion cub playing with a lamb. Perfect!

Joyce said...

Oh lollygaggers coming to the table is a little pet peeve of mine too. Enjoyed reading your answers today!