Friday, August 12, 2011

They Got Me Good




Today in Myrtle Beach it rained, so we all went shopping. Our first stop was at a decent indoor flea market. I wandered around mostly alone until time to leave, when I caught up with Steve and Ambrey. They sort of shadowed me while I browsed and waited for Paul and the others to meet us.




At one point, Steve pointed to a bright red machine what was swirling some fluff around and around. I saw a woman and a little girl standing near. Steve said, "Hey, Mom! Wanna get some cotton candy?"

"Yes! I LOVE cotton candy! I've been wanting it this whole trip. I can't remember the last time I had cotton candy. You guys want some, too? "


"Sure," he said ,taking Ambrey's hand and following a few paces behind me, or so I thought. Little did I know they were hanging back far enough I couldn't hear them. I took out my wallet to see how much cash I had. Two bucks and change.


I approached the machine and the lady and the girl she was with. The cotton candy looked quite white instead of pink of blue, and not wispy but a bit chunky, but I thought maybe it was just white cotton candy of a thicker nature. I'm game. My tasters were set.

"Excuse me," I said to the lady. "How much is the cotton candy?"


She put an arm around my shoulder and said, with a sweet South Carolina accent, "Oh, honey, this in't cotton candy. It's stuffing for animals. You wouldn't wanna eat it."


I turned around to see Steve and Ambrey doubled over, laughing. I said "YOU PRANKED ME! YOU GUYS ARE SO BAD!"


I turned to the lady, who I think was holding her chortles inside. "That's my son and his girlfriend" I said to her. "They got me good."


"Oh, they're jist rotten," she said, snickering.


When we caught up to Paul and the rest, Ambrey and Steve could hardly contain themselves long enough to tell the story. They all got the biggest guffaw at my expense. I don't think I'll ever live this one down.

4 comments:

Joyce said...

I hope you got your cotton candy somewhere later. And I hope you made them pay for it : )

Kelly said...

Oh, that's a good one - I'll have to remember that! :)

Zoanna said...

Nope, I didn't get my cotton candy, but when I do, they will be paying for it, believe you me!

Laurie said...

Ummm. Cotton Candy! Or fluffy stuffing! No- you may never live this one "down", but this type of family story is what strengthens bonds!!