Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Question of Ethics and Beauty

Is it okay to cut a bouquet of lilacs from the bush that's owned by your next door neighbor if said lilacs are hanging a good 2-3 feet over the fence into your yard?

I love the smell. It's intoxicating and takes me back to third grade when I lived in Kansas. I used to ride my bike through the alley of sand from my house to Barb's, stopping on the way to inhale Mrs. Fair's wonderful lilacs.

The last thing I want to do is even hint that the neighbor's overhanging lilacs bother me. Quite the opposite.

I know the answer to my question: When they get home, ask to take a few lilacs. They'll probably say, "Take all you want!" I just don't want to wait till 7:00 for them to get home!!! I want those lilacs in my house now!

8 comments:

Bethany said...

You are funny. If it hangs over property line it is fair game for you. HEE HEE. But I would probably still ask them so they don't think they bother you and then trim them before you can get a bunch the next time.

Briana Almengor said...

Zo
I'm with you on loving the lilac smell! LOOOOVVVVE it. I was actually contemplating snapping a branch off at a public park today, but alas my conscience got the better part of me. Plus, I ALWAYS get caught with stuff like that. :) :)

My neighbor has one, too, but it leans over the opposite side of her fence. :( I'm seriously thinking about asking her if there's a way to transplant some of hers into my yard.

Jessi said...

I'm reading late...did you get your lilacs today??

Kitty Couture said...

My Grandma loves lilac so much. Please have a little thought and prayer for her next time you smell them. Thank you.

Kitty Couture said...

Thank you, my friend. God bless you!

Zoanna said...

By the time Mitch and Cindy got home last night, we were heading out early for a stop at Depot before care group, so I didn't get "my" lilacs yesterday. I will try again today. They will be gone before I know it unless I persevere. I vaguely remember them telling me last year, "You don't have to ask, just help yourself." But then again, my memory can be selective, esp when it comes to flowers!!! If I had my druthers, I would pick tuplips, daisies, black-eyed Susans, lavendar, roses, and whatever suited my fancy at people's mailbox gardens on summer walks! (If I had no conscience.) Thank God for self-control.

Dear Isabelle, as I commented to you on your blog, I will say prayers for you and your Mamie every time I smell lilacs. You're precious to me, friend, and I hate to know you're suffering the inevitable loss of your grandmother.

Zoanna said...

Tuplips? Try "tulips." Tuplips just sounds terrible!

Zoanna said...

jessi, I left a comment for you but with unhelpful info (ie. wrong links into my archives).; I'm getting ready to post a favorite vignette which includes the furniture I'm talkin' about.
It just looks SO much like yours I wonder if it's identical.