Monday, July 07, 2008

I Thought it was Funny

Picture this and see if it's not funny to you.

The eye room where Ben was first examined at GBMC was about 8x8 feet.
Ben is 6.5 feet tall.
He was lying on a chair centered between the north and west walls, in a reclining position. Head at the north wall.
The ophthalmologist strapped one of those coal-miner looking magnifier lamps to his own head for a good look into Ben's retina.
But the head lamp was attached to a cord--a cord only about 3 feet long, not stretchy,and attached to the west wall.

Here begins the comedy in my mind.

Doctor realizes he can't get the head lamp close enough to Ben's face, so he asks Ben if he can scoot down. Ben shifts down a little.
Doctor retries.
"Can you scoot a little more?"
Ben scoots more. By this time his feet are nearing the south wall, so the assistant has to move.
The cord can almost reach now.
"Can you scoot down just a little more?"

The head lamp looks ridiculous. The time is 1:30 a.m. I am past giddy watching this doctor trying to appear professional while being pulled up short by his "leash."

I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. Sure way to embarrass my family.
Ben made a hand motion to me like, "What's so funny?"

I said, "If you were a woman, you'd hear "scoot down a little more--" I couldn't finish my sentence I was so tickled.

He didn't laugh. Either he didn't get it or it truly was not funny. Matter of fact, no one laughed. (Sticks in the mud.)

I asked Paul later, "Can anyone appreciate my jocular, ocular comment?"

5 comments:

Leanne said...

I do! I do!

Becoming a Morrison said...

Ha! That reminds me...I have to schedule my "scoot down a little more" appointment. ugh...

Unknown said...

Yes, I laughed, and I have five children so I remember such a time.
Betty G

krista said...

Ah yes...the "scoot down" visits.
I surely can appreciate the humor in your comment these days...and all the more as "the day" approaches. LOL

Anonymous said...

I didn't get it at all . . . until I read the comments! :)