Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Please Pray for my Mom

I saw my mom this morning where she teaches a Bible study. (She had invited Joel to play with Yoel Blum, a boy from Israel who's currently with his parents on vacation. Thankfully he has learned better English because we've been a bit lax in tutoring Joel in Hebrew.)

Anyway, my mom looked very, very pale and was shuffling along the parking lot.

"Mama, you don't look well. Are you okay?"
"No, I'm not okay."
"You look anemic."
"I am."
"Do you want some blush?"
"No, I want some red blood cells." She had enough energy to chuckle.
"Sorry, I don't have any in my purse," I said, trying to console her.

Under my humor, I was really, really sad. I divert my deep-down pain with laughter a lot. It's good medicine for both of us.

Thankfully my next stop was Aldi, not that they sell cells, but they do sell spinach and other iron-rich food. I decided to pick up stuff specifically for an extra big dinner tonight and ask later if they'd like to come. I figured, if nothing else, she could use a break from hosting dinners and my house could use a good cleaning!

Well, all it took was an offer. She doesn't know if she and Daddy will come (she is really weak) but would appreciate a meal served to the Blums.
Please pray for my mom. I don't why it is that she seems to always be at her weakest when she's hosting people. Pray for me, too, while you're at it. My emotions get shaky when either of parents suffers. I find that my emotions curl up in fetal position. Thankfully God has given me an outlet to serve them (my parents, not my emotions) through my kitchen. (Well, come to think of it, I do serve my emotions in the kitchen, but that's a whole 'nother post!) I wish I could serve up a tray of red blood cells. No, I guess I'm glad I can't. Spinach looks far more appetizing in a salad. I'll be sure to send some home to Mama.

Time to hop off of here and set the table. The Blums took the two Yoels and Stephen swimming at Conowingo this afternoon. I'm sure the water rats will be ready for grilled chicken and homemade mac 'n cheese when they get here!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for your example of sensitivity and servanthood, Zo. I hope preparations for your dinner go (or went) well.