Thursday, August 12, 2010

Joel's Note-taking Initiative


Joel and I are reading a missionary biography called William Carey: Obliged to Go. We're mostly reading aloud, taking turns. But today he was on his own, I said, because I had read ahead at football practice, and now was too sleepy to listen.

I gave him 30 minutes (and he watches the clock, believe me) and said I would ask him questions about what he read, so as to be sure he was paying attention.

Before I dozed off for my nap, I smiled to see that he had grabbed a small notebook and pencil. Of his own volition! He was sprawled out on the family room floor, taking notes!

I awoke to find this scene, boy gone, precisely 31 minutes later.

Be still, my teaching heart.

5 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a great book! Well, at least he made the effort. I'm impressed! I'm assuming this is your son. :o) Enjoyed stopping by. Blessings for a great week-end.

zz said...

Thanks, Lea. Yes, my youngest. Our three older kids are all in college.

One More Equals Four said...

Love it! At least he took the initiative! My boys would totally do the same!

Rooh said...

That's pretty neat! Mine are too young to do note taking, but I remember the days of doing that - and it helping to commit information to memory. I hope he did well on the quiz ;)

Enjoy your Sunday ...

Laurie said...

Take note- Joel is learning skills and absorbing valuable and hopefully heart-changing information!