Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Sweet Sarah's Sweets

 

Happy birthday to our one and only daughter, Sarah.
She is 24 today.
She learned to cook and bake at an early age, but never wanted the toy baking stuff--always the "real" mixing bowls, whisks, spatulas, and ingredients.

I especially appreciated her yen for baking, because it's something I'm
seldom in the mood to do.  For one reason, once I'm done, I'm done. Cooking a meal
is the end of my day in the kitchen, if I can help it.

Many evenings her dad and I would be watching TV and get a hankering for something
sweet. One of us (usually he) would ask, "Sarah, do you feel like baking something? Cookies? A cake?"

And she would say yes or no, but usually yes.  In a half hour's time, she'd be pulling
brownies or coffee cake or mini muffins out of the oven, delighting us all.  The house has been
noticeably devoid of the aroma of cinnamon and chocolate since she left home.

But that doesn't mean she has stopped baking for us. A couple of weekends ago she made plenty of blueberry muffins to feed her roommates and had a lot left over. She delivered them cheerfully to us
and we cheerfully ate them!

Thankfully someone at work made her an Oreo cake. What's a birthday without a cake? And flowers from people who love you...delivered to your classroom...and then taken home to your bathroom for a facebook photo shoot!




She's been sick with allergies or a  cold today, poor thing,  and all she wants to do is sleep, but she has "school crap" to take care of. She has no medicine for her symptoms and so I offered to take some to her.

"Mom, I could be to the store and back before you got here."  She's right. It would take me nearly an hour to make such a delivery. Not that I mind. She's my baby girl, after all, no matter how old she is. 

3 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl!

Marianne (Mare) Baker Ball said...

I have a Sara too (no h). Only one daughter as well. Makes them really special, doesn't it?! My girl likes to bake too. Her speciality is whole wheat bread. Such a blessing! Happy day to your sweet girl!
from The Dugout

Unknown said...

Awww, I loved reading this! The love you have for your beautiful daughter is so apparent.

Have fun with a-z. :)