Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Heavy Air and Airheads in the Hodgepodge

Although the questions are light this week, I know that our hostess, Joyce, has a heavy heart. Her beloved old dog, a faithful Gordon setter, died suddenly on Monday.  I'm so sad for her and her family. The loss of a sweet pet is always very hard,  especially in the midst of chaos and uncertainty, life changes and upheaval.  Sometimes I wonder if maybe our animals can't bear to see our pain, or maybe when their world is so rocked by seeing their humans go away (by moving away, being hospitalized, going off to college), they say their goodbyes, too.   I don't know. But I've witnessed it personally many times. 

Anyway, that was a heavy start to the light Hodgepodge today, but pain has to be acknowledged and grief has to run its course. It runs more smoothly when pals are there to hold your hand and lend a shoulder to cry on, even if the hand and shoulder are only figurative. 


1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot-the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.

Our house is absolutely air-conditioned! The heat and humidity of a typical Maryland summer day are unbearable for this spoiled chick.  

No, I did not grow up with AC.  We had fans, and I remember how my sisters and I would scrunch up together (not touching, of course--too sweaty!) in front of the box fan on the floor and say "ahhhh" into the motor and listen to the wonky vibration. Hey, it's what you did when it was too hot to do anything else!  

The last place that was too hot was actually this past Sunday outside, from the car to the church building. The air was so hot and muggy that it made talking difficult .  Yes, for me!  Whaddya ya know? 

2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?

A job situation. I've applied online for private tutoring jobs, as I like to set my own schedule and rate. I already have one with a little girl who will be in kindergarten. I'm so happy to report that after a year of c0-teaching her with my daughter (I'd go Friday and Sarah would go Saturday), the little girl was awarded Best Reader in the Head Start Program in her school! That makes my heart sing and worth all the effort!


3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?

Strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream on top.

4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?

I really can't remember.  

5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead...which have you most recently encountered? Explain.

Airheads! Hands down.  Lawyers, contractors, salespeople, drivers; I wonder if I attract them or what???

6.  Have you ever been to the Alps? If so where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity...a gentle walk, a serious walk, a bike ride, a boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?

Never been to the Alps. I'd like to, certainly. If I were headed there now, I'd prefer to boat around a lake. That's always on my must-do list for enjoyment. 

7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?

"Respectable" was a term I remember from when I was about 16.  At the ocean there were respectable waves. Guys had respectable cars.  Friday paychecks put respectable cash into your weekend fun.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

My dear friend and neighbor, Bonnie, had to put their own 14- year -old dog, Buck, to sleep while we were away.  He'd been having digestive issues for a year, but since May, he had witnessed a lot of change in the home life he was used to: Bonnie's son got married in May and moved away, her older daughter is preparing to go away to college, which makes the parents grieve in their own way. I think Buck internalized it. An old man, a precious chocolate lab, Buck hung on as long as he could, and everyone got to be there with him when he breathed his last. 

My heart goes out to Joyce and Bonnie as the summer of 2015 will always be remembered with choked-back tears. 


10 comments:

Paige McDaniel said...

What a lovely tribute to Dixie and to your neighbor's dog. I'm with you on the boating too! Hope you have a great week!

Paula said...

WOW! Tutors for kindergartners. Thank you for your tribute to Dixie! Hope the rest of your week is good!

Marla said...

Two friends and their doggies... sad. But, "All dogs go to heaven" and will be waiting for their owners! I'd like to believe that! Congrats on your tutoring work with the little girl who now has become an excellent reader! You have opened up the world to her!

Theresa said...

Helping a child become a better reader is such a great feeling. Teachers have one of the most rewarding jobs! I love strawberry shortcake. I remember doing that with the fan too :)

Linda said...

Thanks for visiting, nice to meet you. I enjoyed your HP answers...teachers indeed have the most rewarding jobs. I am going back to school to get my masters in Adolescent Education/majoring in History. I love strawberry shortcake too...and also remembering do that with the fan, lol. Such fond childhood memories. Blessings

Carrie B said...

I've been toying with the idea of being a 'reader' with one of the local organizations. I'd love to do it but with our sporadic travel, I wouldn't want to let anybody down if I couldn't be there.

Hope your vacation is going well!!

A Joyful Chaos said...

I think I'm a magnet for airheads as well.

Kathy said...

Isn't it a great feeling to know that you made a difference in someone's life? So glad the little girl benefited from your tutoring.
That's sad about your neighbor's dog...

Barbara said...

I had to smile about your answer about sitting in front of the box fan and speaking into it to hear the sound. We did that, too! And then I taught my children to do it!

We are dog people here, too. Our last dogs were Cocker Spaniels, litter mates. They both lived long happy lives and we grieved when their lives came to an end. Dogs are such a special gift from God.

Stay cool!

Joyce said...

Thank you for your sweet thought and kind words. Our pets do wind themselves around our hearts in the most remarkable ways.