Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Joy Boxes

Four of the women of our care group got together at Mitzy's to make these joy boxes (aka "encouragement boxes.") last month. It was her idea to take a figurative idea and make it literal also. In the first chapter of Treasures of Encouragement, which we're making our way through painfully slowly at one chapter a month) there's an expression about filling another person's "joy box." Mitzy called me and asked what I thought about us having a craft night while discussing the chapter. I said, "If it's art, I'm in. If it's about encouragement, I'm really in. Need all I can get." (Had I already missed the point???Give, not just get. Give, not just get. Repeat as necessary.)

So we brought our own shoebox and other supplies. We really enjoyed our fellowship, and I sure loved the results. They were so bright and cheery, these little joy boxes. Mitzy made the one with the lattice work on top and "encouragement box" written on the side. Lauren's has the bright, bold cross in orange and yellow. Stephanie stenciled her life verse on her box. I cut out vintage wrapping paper of little children and animals--mostly, because they make me smile and remind me to pray for orphans, be kind to all creatures, and help moms with young children, which I believe is a growing and God-given urge for me in this season of life of freer hands and not a rigid homeschooling schedule anymore (hallelujah!). Another bonus: I got to use up a lot of 10-cent wrapping paper sheets I had picked up at a rummage sale three years ago!

Mitzy then gave us instructions: "Every time you hear or read or see something encouraging, drop it in your box. But be sure to drop things in other people's boxes, too." She set the example by giving us chocolates wrapped in jewel-toned foil, telling us we were special daughters of the King. She also gave us a verse printed on a 3x5 card. I had good intentions of dropping belated b'day cards into Lauren's and Stephanie's, proud of myself for having filled them out, but wouldn't ya know, I left 'em at home. Joy, joy. :) I'm starting to think they should make cards that say "happy birth month" or "happy birth year" for people like me, keen on well-wishing, not so great at follow-thru. Anyway, I have dropped encouraging emails I've printed off the computer into my Joy Box. I've put in some of Joel's drawings that he made just for me. I'll probably add some of the most uplifting posts and comments I read, or make copies of the pages from my journal that give me hope, boost my faith, increase my love for Jesus and His kin.

All in all, a profitable evening. We also had to go home and make a box for someone else. ( I balked at first in my spirit; it is sanctifying to me when someone says "You HAVE to do such and such" and besides, I still had ModPodge all over my fingers.) But I obeyed; I made one for my friend, Bonnie, decoupaged with all kinds of little magazine pictures of things that she loves or that remind me of her. In the making of it was more joy than in the making of my own. Bonnie adores it. That makes it worth the three hours it took to cut out and glue on a zillion little pictures of beaches, flip-flops, wild animals, little birds, strawberries, a chocolate Lab, taco dip, and other things that are so "her."

I'd encourage you to make a box (or two) yourself while it's still early in the year! But watch out for Mod Podge. It "sticks" around like a bad haircut for weeks.

1 comment:

Kitty Couture said...

Those joy boxes are a fantastic project, Zo! Not sure what Mod Podge is - is it some sort of glue?