Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sick but not lacking Humor

I posted this on my Kidbits blog, but I don't know how many people read that one. It's a log of many funny things that proceed out of the mouths of my babes, mostly my youngest's mouth.

I took him to the doctor yesterday when his fever hadn't subsided for two days . While I never actually took his temperature, I guessed it was at least 100, maybe higher since he was emanating heat from his body.

Of course, by the time we got to the appointment, he didn't feel warm to me.

The nurse took his temp. She said, "It's 97.5"

"That low?" I asked. "Hmmm!"

Joel reasoned out loud: "That's because I'm only 5."

The nurse chuckled, left the room, and in came the doctor. I like her because she asks the child to describe what's going on with their tummies, their throat, their ears, their poopies. Joel was fine talking about the tummy, throat, and ears, but when she asked, "Are your poopies like water or are they normal?" he pointed to me.

"You answer, Mom. "

"Joel, you can tell her, cuz I'm not sure. "

"They're normal," he admitted, as if divulging classified information.

She did a rapid strep test on him and one of the swab sticks got stuck in the roof of his mouth, poor thing. Dr. Y said, "I'm sorry, that's gross." She left the room after unsticking the stick.

As we were walking through the parking lot to leave, he said the same thing he did the last time we visited the doctor. "She didn't do a very good job. I'm still sick."


With all the compassion I could muster without laughing, I said, "Well, honey, she is a very good doctor, but only Jesus heals us. The doctor can only tell you what's wrong and give you medicine and stuff. It's up to Jesus to actually make you better."

"Well, I still say she's not a very good doctor. Listen:..." (He coughed to prove his point.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely story! In fact I sometimes read kidbits too, but not regularly like your blog. I wish you a good and blessed week end.

Joe said...

Frankly, I'm with him.

Ashleigh said...

Too funny!

Anonymous said...

What a character! Too cute!