Saturday, April 07, 2007

Good News and Other News

Another very good day. First I woke up with a book on my mind. It's called The Peace Child, by Don Richardson. I haven't read it all--in fact, very little of it, but I want to. In a nutshell, it's the true story of how another culture discovers the story of divine redemption. What made me think of it was a fellow homeschool mom who wants to buy it from me. I told her yes yesterday but this morning was hesitant. AGH! I love missionary stories so much I like to hang onto them.

Then the Lord supercharged me with the idea of continuing a club for girls similar to Operation Gummi Worms, but expanded. It would be a monthly club for girls who want to reach out to the needy practically and spiritually. I was thinking of calling it the Young Rubies. Have two age groups, 6-11 and 12-17. I would brainstorm first to see what they'd come up with for service projects--visiting nursing homes, sending military care packages, baking to support the next missions trip that a homeschooler takes, sewing and filling Katrina Kits for the next natural disaster, and so on. I got really into the idea, all the way to wanting to have someone design a Young Rubies logo for T-shirts!

In the mail came a MOST unexpected amount of money from someone I don't know but who is a fellow believer. You know who you are and you will be thanked abundantly by both Sarah and me. I cried when I opened it. A relative also sent us money, and frankly, surprised me. So, I took all my checks from the past 3 days except one I'm holding till Tuesday, but when I do that'll be another 931 in our account. We are almost halfway there! That's the good news. We still need half. That's the Other News. But how grateful and optimistic I am!

Then, while at the Thrift Store looking for more eBayable clothing and a suit for Joel (found a really cute one $4.98), I struck up a conversation with a total stranger, new grandmother, former eBay seller, and sister in Christ who has been on a few missions trip with her husband and second son. Her first son was killed in a motorcylce accident in 2005 and she talked about him with tears in her eyes. One topic led to another and I gave her the address of our upcoming yard sale and she wrote it down, saying she LOVES yard sales and hopes we do well for our fundraising. We must've talked over 1/2 an hour before all was said and done. That was a pleasant interlude. I also found several items half price to sell for probably 5-10x what I paid!

At Aldi's my friend Michelle B said God answered her prayer when she spotted me in line. She had prayed, 'God, please let there be someone who will let me in front of them." (She only had a couple of things which I would never go into Aldi's on a Saturday for. Crazy!) So I told her, "Sure, you can get in front of me, but the catch is you have to pay for my groceries. Deal?" She said she didn't have an extra $120 but could do a song and dance. She also introduced me to her dad, who seems like a real easy-going fella with a sweet smile.

All my errands went smoothly and I remembered all but one. A very important one--pantyhose to go with my dress tomorrow, plus lint traps for the laundry tub. So, guess I'd better quit clickin' and get a move-on.

Every now and then you just have a day when everything seems rosy, ya know? Today was one of those. Thanks, Lord.

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

These pictures are not opening. I don't know the problem. Anyone help?

Amy said...

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the girls' club service projects you get into...I work with the GEMS at our church and we definitely want to get the girls involved with more service projects!