Friday, July 27, 2007

Meet the Dolls


I'm weak and tired from my procedure, but it couldn't have gone any better. Had total peace, no sadness that I was anticipating, and even a nurse that went to my old high school with me. More on the experience later. Thanks so much for the prayers. They were answered in detail,I'm sure of it.

Briana won a doll and I'm so so excited for her.

I have the privilege of introducing these sweet gals who would dearly love to be adopted. (Click to enlarge the photo if you want.)

Starting on the upper left box, we have a smart and friendly girl named Ira. As you can tell, she thrives on attention, wearing bright orange every day. She loves to talk, though she only speaks a few words of English. She only talks when you're not listening. Olya loves to go for walks and rides, enjoys hanging out in the kitchen, and her favorite subject is geography. She loves to worship and hopes to be part of spreading God's love to children.

Next to her is red-headed Lena. She loves music, dance, the arts, and is a hoping to be an Olympic figure skater. A picky eater, you may have to work with her to expand her palette.
She speaks Russian fluently, of course, and often interprets for friends and family. She is very disciplined, hard-working,and studious. She can't stand mess, but loves to build things. Her favorite verse is, "My God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in Christ Jesus."

The smiling blonde on the lower left is Ina. Very gentle, ladylike, and artistic, she is quick-witted and gracious. She would rather listen than talk. Her aspiration is to be a pastor's wife someday, the mother of many children, and a volunteer orphanage care giver. She knows how to connect with people of all ages, especially hormonal middle-aged women. Her favorite verse is Micah 5:8.

Last but not least is Olya. She is somewhat of a tomboy, refusing to close her knees even in front of a camera. She says, "I am who I am, " as if saying so entitles her an exemption from sanctification. I have reminded her that only God is the great "I AM" who cannot change and will not change, but will do all in His power to change us to be like Son. She needs a patient mom who understands her spirit but won't crush it . Ideally would get along great with brothers because she LOVES to get dirty, has a high pain tolerance, and often burps at the table. Much in need of refined manners, Olya has tremendous potential. Under her Huck Finn exterior is a sweet girl who cries when she sees animals suffer, including our own golden retriever when trying to escape Cowboy Joel.

So there you are, Bri! Take your pick. I'll be happy to bring any or all of these girl on Sunday so you can hold them and be sure of a good match. We can draw up adoption papers in a few weeks, after my root canal. Maybe Pebbles Englehart will offer her services pro bono?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad everything went well with your procedure!!

Briana Almengor said...

I think I'd like the red head, Lena. I really was hoping my kids would be red heads...dont' know why I was hoping that given there's little genetic possibility of that happening. I like that she's hardworking, studious and doesn't like messes! :)

Zoanna said...

Okay, I just told Lena and she is jumping up and down, twirling around on the windowsill. She won't sleep tonight knowing she's going to her forever family tomorrow!

I, too, have always wanted a redhead, also with the few carrot topped swimmers in the gene pool. I have a feeling Sarah will adopt a redhead if she adopts from Russia!

Jessi said...

So glad your procedures went well.

I just saw your reading "Blue Like Jazz"...that's on my top 3 books I want to read next...what do you think of it? (I know this doesn't really pertain to the post, so feel free to message me if you don't feel like talking about it on here.)

Zoanna said...

Jessi, I honestly just started the book and am a couple chapters into it. His style is so fresh, so sharp, nothing cliche. I love that. (I can't stand Christianese or any other unoriginal wording.)
He reminds me of myself in his gut-level honesty, so in some ways I feel like I know him! His upbringing was completely different from mine (ie his dad abadoned the family at a young age and so "Father God" was a term he couldn't understand. My dad has been a very close facsimilie of Father God to me, erring on the side of wrathlessness (if that's a word). It was Andrew Slate, one of our young leaders of Mercy Ministries in Russia, who recommended the book to me over lunch. "It's not the usual kind of book a pastor would recommend on evangelism," he warned, "but it'll make you think. It makes me realize I don't really love people the way Christ wants me to." Andrew pointed out that one of Don Miller's observations is that Christians so often have an agenda for the unbelievers in their lives: to get them saved. If they don't "cooperate," we move on to someone "easier." These are my quotes, not his. Unbelievers see right through our agenda. NO wonder they feel unloved and skeptical. No wonder they want to say and do the "right" things if they want to keep our friendship. Or no wonder they'll write us off as everyone else in their life who has an agenda for them. "People aren't projects" my sister once told me when she was convicted of how she often treated people in the workplace. How sad when I realize I've treated people the same way. Anywaym, I have every intention of reviewing the book as a post when I'm finished. I would love for you to be reading it along with me so we can talk about it!