Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Q&A Wednesday: Regarding Psalm 139

I have just read Psalm 139 in three different versions. (I like to use www.biblegateway.com and select three versions there.) Today I tried the Darby translation and found this line which is worded differently than others:

"For Thou hast possessed my reins."


It really appeals to the horse lover in me. There is nothing like that feeling of being on the back of a majestic steed who obeys the signals coming from the reins connected to the bit in his mouth. The horse will turn right or left according to the pull of the bit. He'll speed up when the tension relaxes, and slow down when the bit is pulled back. He'll even reverse if the rider pulls back on the reins and kicks at the same time. (That was my all-time favorite maneuver once I learned it.)

I encourage you to read this psalm in three translations that you don't normally read. Do one right after the other. Not only is the poetry smooth and engaging, this text is rich with encouragement.

Question for today: Which single phrase or verse spoke to you, and why?

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Did it as a blog post.