Friday, February 01, 2008

Flowers

I could use some right now. Actually, I'm ready to pack my suitcase (again) and leave home. You think life with toddlers is hard, try living with young adults. I don't remember signing up for persecution when I conceived my firstborn, but ya know, some things in life are free.

But I digress.



Flowers really pick me up. They're not just bundles of overpriced, dying petals. To me, flowers tell me that God loves me. With a word, He spoke them all into being. Big ones, little ones, red,yellow, pink, purple, blue, and white ones in a bed of greens. Flowers that the human eye loves to see. Flowers that human eyes have never seen. Dainty ones that hug the woodland forest. Humongous ones that end up in parades and presidential cavalcades. Some smell wonderful; some are more for show. I'm not picky, I'd just like to see more of them.

In my house.

I wish I didn't have to write it on a list. Sometimes not even that has worked. He's remembered the bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper, but where are the flowers? If I could afford a TV ad on SuperBowl Sunday, it would not be at halftime. It would be smack in the middle of the third down of the first quarter, and every third down from there on out. The ad would say, "Hey, didja remember the flowers or just the chips?"


But I digress. Again.

Flowers mean more to me than I can put in words. I used to apologize for this passion, as if I was just being silly and frivolous. But, does God make silly, frivolous things? No. And does not the Bible say that "for His pleasure ALL things were created?"

Therefore, today, I will dream of my next bouquet on the table. Last week's roses wilted and ended up exactly in the same place as last night's peas. But, oh, how I adored them (the flowers, not the peas) and told my husband how good they make me feel.


Cared for. Cheered. Romanced.


I shall thank God again for flowers, because, like all other lives, they bloom and provide a beauty all their own, if only for a short time.


One bouquet of flowers in exchange for a cartload of SuperBowl grub. That's not too much to ask, is it? No.



Too much to expect? Hahahahahahahahahaahahha (she laughs cynically).

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Clever. But I don't know any woman who doesn't feel the same way.
I also, don't know any woman who gets flowers all the time.
Betty G

Libby said...

I think if we got flowers more often, we wouldn't appreciate the times we DO get them! It makes those rare occasions so much better!!!!!

Donna said...

Zo,
I so feel your pain about adult children...We should talk. As far as the flowers...I love them also. Not as much as you do BUT I think they are a wonderful "treat" that I sometimes get from others and that I most times get for myself...

Anonymous said...

I never get tired of flowers either. Whether it is spring time and my 4 year old picks flowers *gasp* from my garden or my husband buys me a cheap grocery bouquet, they perk me up. On that note though I won't be holding my breath for my honey to be bringing any home anytime soon. :)

Karen

Unknown said...

I shouldn't admit this but I do love flowers and would like them everywhere.
I also like greenery in the house.
Since I have gotten old I don't have anything (now 3) that I have to water, so one daughter has supplied me with pots of blooming geraniums, lilacs, and azaelas, all lifelike and I love them.
It's a solution for me!!!
Betty G

Bethany said...

love them too!!! Did you get a lot planted in your garden this year?

Leanne said...

I'm going to be the oddball here and say I actually don't feel this way about flowers. Other things, sure - I definitely understand the sentiment. Flowers? Not so much. Maybe that's because I'm too allergic to actually appreciate them, and fake ones just aren't the same at all!

Vicki said...

I am sorry you are going through a rough time Zo, although I am having a hard time feeling sympathy about the flowers... a single woman never gets flowers, at least I don't. I got a card last year on Valentine's Day from my friend's kids. They told me they gave me a card because I don't have a husband and never get anything special. I also got a pencil and a piece of candy from them. I still have the cards hanging up on my fridge.

It sounds like you have a good hubby and you are a good wife too. Cuddle up to your hubby and tell him you love him.

Sarah said...

I hope you get some soon. I'm dreamin gof my next bouquest too.

Christina said...

I feel the same way about flowers. I absolutely LOVE them. I have a feeling that your lamenting over the lack from hubby stems (no put intended!) from the approaching V-Day (Not my favorite holiday). Maybe I'm wrong. But personally, I have expectations on V-Day that rarely ever get met. So here's my advice, preached mainly to myself!

1. My man is a good husband, who does many things for me all year long. Even if he only brings me flowers once a year, if I focus on the rest of the year instead of the V-Day expectations or flower wishes I'll be content. Contentment is a virtue.

2. I have a garden that I work in so that I will have an abundance of flowers in the spring and summer. Maybe your husband would like to help you plant a raised bed or a rose bush instead of buying a bouquet. Mine did.

3. Buying flowers for your house to make it a warm, bright, sweet smelling place, is a wonderful way for you to teach your children about beauty, and add to your decor. They are cheaper than a new dinning set! So don�t wait for hubby, or feel guilty/ sorry for yourself. Make your home a sanctuary and buy flowers.

4. There are some very lifelike silk flowers out right now. Some of them are pricy, but I�ve found some at the dollar store. Right now I have a cake stand that is piled with just the flower heads of white roses, some green leaves and deep red berries. It�s very pretty and cost $3.

5. Buy your single friends flowers for V-Day. The best V-day present I ever got was a gorgeous bouquet from a friend when I was in college. I didn't expect it and it was such a nice surprise.

6. Take a flower arranging class if you can. It�s lots of fun and you�ll come home with a new project each week. Your home will be full of flowers and you�ll have some new skills too.