Sunday, February 24, 2008

Theme Girl and Soldier Care Packages

If you know me, you know I think in themes. I call myself Theme Girl. (Sarah told me if there was one way to give me an unhappy birthday party, make it themeless.) Anyway, thinking in themes helps me when it comes to packing care packages for our military. For one thing, you can shop in one aisle for all kinds of the same things. Or you can be sure that you're not sending soap in the same box with PopTarts.

If you have thought you'd like to send stuff to soldiers (or Marines or Airmen or Sailors) but would like a specific list, here are my themes, to be shipped when a box is full and to anyone on AnySoldier.com whom I find doesn't have many supporters as of yet.

Theme 1: Micro Meals and Bottled Water Buddies
With only access to microwaves (and some units don't have them) they love getting microwaveable meals and desserts. Target and Walmart are well stocked. EAsyMac, Healthy Choice soups, Maruchan brand soup. I've heard there are microwaveable brownies but haven't seen them. Anything in its own bowl is great.
What I call Bottled Water Buddies (to be annoyingly alliterative) would be Crystal Light or Propel "shakers"--come in a 10 pack and can be poured into the water bottles on the go. These are often on the request lists.

Theme 2: Work Out Wishes
athletic tube socks (white), sports bras (mostly medium and large are requested), hand towels, t-shirts to work out in (no white and not dark) with logos like Adidas, Fubu, Nike, etc. They can't wear civilian clothes otherwise, by policy.
Runner's World magazines, Men's Fitness, any sports magazines.

Theme 3: Bathing Beauties
Dove moisturizing body wash, loofahs and washcloths, bath towels, hand towels, good moisturizing shampoos, razors, body lotion, nice smelling hand soaps, and magazines to read while their feet are soaking.

Theme 4: Writing Wonders
note pads, envelopes, thinking-of-you/love you/birthday cards they can write to their loved ones (stamps not necessary), other office supplies

Theme 5: Hygiene Helpers
Most oft-requested (practically begged for, I should say) are pearl tampons (read: smooth plastic applicator), nail clippers, foot scrubs, and anything girlie. -Yes, I know they all signed up for hardship--and they know it--but they really, really appreciate the comforts of home being sent to them by complete strangers who pack stuff with love. They say "it's like Christmas" or "it really boosts morale" or "we wish we could meet the people in person who send us these things" or "it really helps us do our jobs better to know we have support from home." To me, that's priceless.

Theme 5: Bedding Bliss
100 % cotton sheets because they only have mattresses and sleeping blankets and very worn pillows. The guys like black, dark blue, green; the women--pink, purple, "anything girlie." If you find coordinating separate flat and fitted sheets, I'll sew up a pillowcase. It's more economical in some cases, and always more personal!

Theme 6: Snacky Stuff
Goldfish, NutterButter cookies, granola bars, Little Debbies (not chocolate; it's getting too warm and would make a mess), gummy worms, cheese/crackers packs, trail mix, dried fruit, breakfast bars, beef jerky, graham crackers, tuna in a can with the pull-tab lid, etc.

As always, they love cards and letters from kids. They hang them up on the dull, drab walls for color and smiles. So if your kids produce a prolific amount of art, would you consider asking them to donate some of it for the sake of soldiers?
I try to ship on or about the 5th and 25th of each month, so let me know ahead of time what you'd like to contribute so I can plan accordingly (I pack TIGHT in the flat rate boxes), If you can, I'd appreciate help with postage (41 cents for every 6regular sheets of paper or 3 construction paper, or a dollar per pound of goods.

Thank you. I realize this cause may not be popular with everyone, and that I may be just a wee bit obsessed, but I feel like it's part of my calling because it's such a huge joy to me to think of someone opening a box and feeling, in some small way, that God has heard their prayer that day. It might be a prayer for lotion, or socks, or sheets, or a child's card saying, "hev a good day soljer." I know it would make MY day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zoanna, I'd like to help! What a wonderful thing you are doing, God has so called you to be a blessing to so many. I'll be able to get something together by next week.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll pass on some magazines that you mentioned the soldiers would like. It won't be right away, but I'll start saving a stack.

Also, I'd love to borrow your video camera. We decided not to invest in one, but it would be great to shoot a little bit of video of the boys right now. I wouldn't keep it long. Thanks for the offer.

Zoanna said...

TAhnks, my friends. Next shipment will be March 5th.