Friday, May 16, 2008

On SUNNY Days


The kids and I love to take the covertible out with the top down.

This week, while Sarah and Stephen are in Mexico, I have a sweet set of keys and a Saab story to tell.

A few days ago Joel and I hopped into my MidlifeMobile and headed over to Broom's Blooms for ice cream. He "yee-hawed" and "woo-hooed" for two miles with wind in his hair, sun on his cheeks. Then he fell asleep in the car.

I pulled into the long gravel driveway of the country dairy shoppe anyhow, parked along the cornfield, picked up my latest read and just enjoyed the sunshine. I remember thinking, "I am so blessed. I am not in a rush. I am not thinking of the next thing to do. I am not leaving the memory-making to a babysitter. This day, this moment, this child, this age is so precious. Can't it all just last forever?"

When Joel woke up a half hour later, he was staring straight at knee-high corn.

"I'm hot," he said, bewildered. "Where are we?"

"At Broom's Blooms," I said. "Are you thirsty?"

"I'm MORE than thirsty!" he exlaimed. I was actually more than hungry, having skipped lunch, so I ordered a delicious special of Brunswick stew, artisan cheese, fresh baked roll, and apple slices. We shared a lemonade and he got the very small (ahem! it's more like a triple scoop) orange chocolate chip ice cream on a sugar cone. I fenagled a few wonderful bites from him, but he pretty well polished it off.

As we left, I took his soft little six-year old hand in mine and thought, This is one of those memories I just want to savor forever. Times of refreshing. Times of just being a mom with her little boy who has dirt under his fingernails, a band of sweat under his chin, and a smile as wide as Texas on his face.

Again I asked myself, "Can't it all just last forever?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, it's a sign! I've been wanting to go to Bloom's Broom for several weeks now. Last Friday we were literally ready to go out the door but I nursed the boys and then realized Owen had gotten Duncan's fever. So we stayed home. Then the next time we wanted to go it was cold and rainy . . .

We'll get there. That orange chocolate ice cream is calling my name!