Monday, August 04, 2008

In Faith for a New "Net"work

This morning I was reading in Luke where Jesus is standing by the lake one morning. Two fishing boats are docked. The fishermen are cleaning empty nets; they've caught nothing and they've been working all night. Jesus hops into Simon's boat and tells the men to cast their net into the water. "We've been fishing all night, Master, and haven't caught anything. " But he does as Jesus says. Immediately the net is so heavy it takes several men to haul in the catch, and then the boat nearly sinks under the weight. Simon's response is that of humility and worship. At once he bows before this Jesus, whose single sentence carried more power than the force of a professional Galilean fishing crew.

The story is familiar but it made me realize how I've been washing empty nets. Evangelistically I haven't been part of a "catch" in a very long time. The last time I laid out the gospel in clear terms was in Russia. That was over a year ago. The trouble is that I haven't really asked God lately for a "catch." An even deeper trouble is that I haven't cared enough to observe the lake or prepare nets or get into the boat. I've been hanging out with my fellow fishermen, most of whom seem themselves to be on vacation.

Sure, I've been complaining that "the church" wasn't doing enough. Sure, it's obvious that we're all more talk than action. But I am part of "the church" and "we" includes "me," and I can't blame anyone else for apathy while I'm just standin' there waitin' for a leg-up into someone else's boat.

In short I've lacked both compassion and will to ask Jesus if He'd take me fishing with Him.

That changed today. (After I repented--again--of selfishness.) Now I have faith. I feel God has opened my eyes on the water again and is about to hand me a net. It's exciting to be God's fishing partner. All you have to do is go along, let Him say the words, hold unto tight to the net, and then hope others are there to witness the miracle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's interesting that you would write this now. Just the other day I was thinking that God possibly may have led Ronan and I to send our children to public school this year to help us to be "fishers of men".

Amy said...

this is challenging and inspiring. thanks, Zo.

Anonymous said...

Zoanna, I certainly needed to be refreshed by this scripture. I too need to repent of selfishness and ask the Lord to take me fishing. Thank you for the inspiration!

Terri Feil