Saturday, December 03, 2011

Christmas Tablescapes: Sit Back and Enjoy



Our church hosts an annual Ladies' Christmas Breakfast the first Saturday in December. For me, it's the way the Christmas season starts. Our breakfast includes about 30 tables, some round and some rectangular, each one uniquely decorated by a different woman with her own ideas and dishes.

The women decorate the day before between 8:30 am and 8:00 pm. I like to go around 6:30 in the evening when almost all the tables are done, and I can circulate with my camera and get close-ups without being obnoxious.

You can see the drama team practicing in the background. They did a wonderful job on a Beatles-inspired musical skit called "Not Just Anybody," which contained a a clear presentation of the gospel written by two very talented gals in our church. Kudoes to Emily and Abby and the entire skit team. Catch it on Youtube!

Now for the tabletop tour. Welcome to my table, which I decked in the "Twelve Days of Christmas" theme after finding a complete set of 12 vintage glasses at Goodwill for $6.

At a store called Tuesday Morning I found a set of 12 cloth napkins that I fell in love with. It was my little splurge ($19.99 for 12, not bad!) and the perfect theme-setting detail. Ironing them took longer than roasting three French hens.

The pear tree you see is small branch I snapped off a tree in my front yard, and I bought a bag of 29 little pears for about $4 at Michael's. I hung them with fishing line. Partridge? Do you know how hard it is to find a partridge? Neither did I until I went "hunting." They can put a man on the moon, but they can't sell little partridges at Christmas? Plenty of pheasants, cardinals, doves, and peacocks, but narry a partridge anywhere.

I had to make a partridge out of paper and colored pencils. (I was thinking about printing a picture of Shirley Jones or David Cassidy, but I used self-control in the corny department. There is hope for me yet.)

I set florist's foam in the "milk maid's" pitcher to hold the tree upright, and arranged pears over the foam to hide it.

The rest of the vignette for the centerpiece:

-12 Drummers drumming: my 20 year-old drummer's sticks plus teeny drum "picks" (Michael's, very cheap)
-11 Pipers piping: my 4th grade son's recorder (cleaned!)
-10 Lords a leaping -- just used the 10 napkin
-9 Ladies dancing-- number 9 napkin
- 8 maids a milking --pitcher holding the pear tree (had it)
-7 Swans a-swimming: a two-piece crystal swan ($4.99) jewelry holder
-6 Geese a laying: Styrofoam goose-egg ornaments ($1.99 for 3, clearance, Tuesday Morning).
-5 Golden rings --the chargers (not new this year) look like rings around the plates, right?
-4 Colly birds--couldn't find anything that coordinated
-3 French hens-- ditto
-2 turtle doves--a dove ornament that says "Hope" (and reminds me of the baby I miscarried in '99. I named her Hope but have never had a keepsake object to remember her by. Not that I need one. A mother never forgets.)

.... and a partridge in a pear tree.

Yes, I could have bought a little fake pine, and added a peacock and saved a lot of time, but the song would be screwed up:

"And a peacock in a pine tree"?

Nah.

Thank the Lord I found white mugs, $1 each at Chesapeake Quality Traders (finally a bright white set--not greyish white or ivory, but bright white--that match my bright white everyday plates). They and my round gold tablecloth have been quite versatile for many themes.

I also bought gifts for my guests, in keeping with the theme and specially selected for each recipient (avg $5): a book by John Piper, a Five Guys gift card, Baltimore Ravens salt & pepper shakers (because "four colly birds," as I discovered through research, are not "calling birds" like songbirds, but are blackbirds in the raven family), a turtle dove ornament, a couple potholders that match the napkins, and a pear candle. Since they were all different sizes and shapes, I didn't put them on the table, but rather in the chairs.

(No one really complains where you place a gift for them, have you noticed?)

Well, now, that's it for my table. Would you like to see others? It's eye candy, I tell ya. Eye candy.


Mary, did you know that your birthing room would someday sit on tables?



































My favorite detail here is the note pad under the fork. Clever, eh? Go, Doris!



































This table in a pink and green and snowy theme made me smile.
Karen and Marybeth are quite the decorating duo every year.


































Aren't these the cutest name cards on the backs of the chairs?



















Traditional beauty.


















If I had to pick (and I'm so glad I don't!) I would say the next tablescape
was my favorite. The non-traditional Christmas colors were unique,
and every detail oozes time and effort, not to mention enviable talent.






















Crocheted napkin rings to match the china.


















She even embroidered the ribbon. Can anyone say, "Martha's clone"?

















Our senior pastor's wife, the one who started these breakfasts back in the 90's,
decorated this lovely table. As if she doesn't have enough to do. And this year
with a broken foot.

















My good friend Marilyn designed this stunning tablescape.

















Mitzy makes soap. Notice each cute soap bar sitting on the blue glass?
Blue and white is such a homey color combination.


















I do find myself drawn to purple...


And that concludes our 2011 Christmas tabletop tour. Hope you enjoyed it.

10 comments:

Joyce said...

Oh how fun! I love your theme! This reminds me of a tea we had in the UK every May and different people decorated tables...so creative and beautiful!

Marti said...

What a fun event. A lot of decorating talent there.

Danielle said...

I loved your table, so pretty! And the napkins were worth the money. They made quite a statement!

Briana Almengor said...

I totally forgot to capture your table on film. Glad you got some shots of it. I loved it, too. You always have clever ideas and execute well. I have to say I learned a few things reading your post. I completely didn't know it was "colly" birds; I've always sung "calling" birds. Ha!

Some of the ones you highlighted were among my favorites as well, but Louann's took the cake for me...or I should say, tears. The pictures of Bonnie's kids in the glass bulbs sent me over the edge with emotion.

This is one of my favorite events of the year as well. I, like you, so enjoy walking around when it's quiet to take in all the details.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

What a lovely, lovely affair and I would have so enjoyed attending. :o) The tables are all so pretty and I know it was an enjoyable time for all the ladies. A great idea!

Laurie Reyes said...

I love your table! I didn't get a chance to really look at all of the tables, so I'm really grateful for the pictures.

Amy said...

what a fun table you had! wish I could have sat with you and enjoyed your hospitality and sense of humor in person - this post made me laugh out loud multiple times :)

Kelly C said...

I loved this. We do a similar women's event but in the spring and I'm always in awe of the beautiful and creative ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Zoanna said...

Thanks, everyone. I thoroughly enjoy the planning and execution of this minor part of the event. And Lea and Amy, you are invited next year! Come sit at my table. Just let me know by October 1st because it's usually a sell-out!

Zoanna said...

Actually , ALL of you are invited. We can fill a table of 8. Wouldn't that be fun to have a blogger's table? :)