Friday, December 09, 2011

Happy, Scrappy, Magic Paper Clip Wreath under $4


I made a fresh wreath this year, determined to be super frugal about the decorations. Besides, the fragrance when opening the front door is wonderful.

To make this wreath, I used only what I had on hand: greens cut off the bottom of the Christmas tree, a cranberry garland, some sassy ribbon, a silk bird, a floral foam disc from the dollar store, and a magic paper clip. Okay, so it's not magic, but with sleight of hand, it disappears behind the greens.

I started with the tree. There were plenty of branches along the bottom of the tree that needed to be cut off to make the tree more shapely. Or, as my nine-year-old son says, "to make room for big presents."






I selected greens both long and short and alternated them, sticking them into the middle of the side of the foam.













The magic paper clip helps the bird stay put. I secured it to his little feet, pushed the sharp ends into the foam, and placed the bow on top to hide the clip. The bird didn't appreciate being a fettered friend. I think I heard him plead, "Don't clip my wings, too!"

































Voila!

Here's the finished wreath, and here's the cost breakdown.

Greens: free, with the purchase of a fresh-cut tree. Or free if you can find them, no purchase necessary.

Ribbon: about $1
Bird: $.79
Foam disc: $.50
Cranberry garland: $1.50 ?
Magic paper clip: $.04

Total: $3.83. Merry Christmas.

12 comments:

Marti said...

Lovely with a very expensive look.

Carey said...

That is GORGEOUS! Great job.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Makes me wish we had decided to get a real tree this year!

happymcfamily said...

Very pretty! I unfortunately can't do live Christmas foliage unless I want to be allergically miserable, but it is so nice to look at! I am impressed with your frugality :-)

Briana Almengor said...

It's beautiful. Wish I had extra greens to make one for our door. It's currently "naked."

Janice C Johnson said...

My favorite line: "The bird didn't appreciate being a fettered friend."
Bahaha, such exquisite punnery!
Jan
A "Company Girl"

One More Equals Four said...

Wow! I am impressed. Not only would I not have that stuff around, I couldn't do that if I did!

Zoanna said...

Oh, anyone could do this, trust me. If you can poke sticks into foam, tie your shoes, and pin hair in place, you can make this wreath. It took me not more than 40 minutes.

Thanks for the kind words. I like my wreath and only wish I had more greens sitting around.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Hats off to you! Really very attractive and I would never have guessed you could do such so inexpensively. Happy weekend!

Laurie said...

Sometimes a paper clip makes magic! What a lovely wreath of freshness and fun! It says, "Welcome! Happy Holidays!"

Joyce said...

Very pretty!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I'm about to write a post for this week called "Dollar Tree Christmas" because we're trying to keep thing "festive" but within a budget. =p Thanks for sharing.