Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Gadgets, Games, and Gorgeous Trees in HP 124



Jumping in late to the Wednesday Hodgepodge, but I missed last week's and I do enjoy this meme.
Thanks, Joyce.  For anyone new to this, read my answers and then click on the cute button above and see how others answered the same questions. And then copy the questions to your blog and answer the questions YOUR way. Fun, easy, hard-to-beat inspiration.

1. When the children of today grow up, what do you think they'll say about this period in time? What do you most hope they remember?

I think they'll remember always having some sort of gadget in their hand, and that they rarely used a cell phone to actually CALL someone, especially their folks.  Sadly, I think many of them will remember that very few of them came from intact families--more from divorced parents than covenant-for-a-lifetime parents. They'll probably also say the hairstyles were dorky and how on earth did we think these clothes were fit to be seen in public?

I hope they remember that this nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, not Islamic ones.


2. National Teacher's Day is celebrated in the US of A on the first Tuesday in May, this year May 7th...share how a particular teacher positively impacted you.

My third grade teacher, Mrs. Grose.  I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt she loved me. That made me want to go to school and be near her and learn from her. She also taught me that teachers are real people because she cried real tears when reading Old Yeller to us. She protected  me from a bad boy on the playground who wanted to kiss me when I sought refuge in a tractor tire. And she told lots of stories about her identical twin daughters, Nellene and Marlene.   Mrs. Grose and I have stayed in touched through the years and I last saw her a few years ago. She is still "tarp as a shack," as she likes to say.

3. What's a dish your mama made, that if set in front of you today would whisk you right back to childhood?

Grilled cheese sandwiches. They were a Sunday staple for us. I still remember how patient Mama was to stand there and make five of them, burning none, and each one came out gooey and yummy in the middle, golden-brown on the outside.  I really don't remember a time when my mom was anything but patient while cooking.  Let's just say, I am not her daughter in that regard!

4. Mother May I was a game we played when I was growing up...no pieces, parts, or plugs required. What games from childhood do you remember loving that were also pieces, parts, and plug-free?

Freeze tag, hide-and-seek, and Kick the Can (although that technically has one piece--the can--
but still, can't get any cheaper than a can from the trash for a piece-free game).


5. Besides your own mother, tell us about a woman who influenced you as a child?

A next door neighbor named Lois Long when I was in 3rd/4th grade.

6. Mamma Mia! What's the best play or musical you've ever seen?

I've never seen Mamma Mia, but it sounds like I've really missed out.   Best play I've ever seen?   Can I break it down by my age? Earliest/best ever: Sound of Music. Best in high school: Our Town.  Best
in college: Antigone.  Best in adult years: My Fair Lady .

7. What are three smells that make you feel nostalgic?

horse sweat,  honeysuckle, and Old Spice


8. Insert your own random thought here.

I took my art students on a field trip to local state park last week. They had two hours and fifteen minutes to paint or draw whatever inspired them. We sat on picnic benches in front of lake that
was surrounded by gorgeous old oaks. One student produced this. It takes my breath away.






3 comments:

Joyce said...

Several people mentioned grilled cheese and I've been craving one all day. My mom used to make them in the waffle iron. It had a griddle piece you could put inside so they were flat. Yum!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, I could have said grilled cheese too. Makes me want one right now.

I can only imagine what a fantastic art teacher you are to your students. I love art but it's one gift the Lord did not bestow upon me. :o)

Happy rest of the week!

Unknown said...

Wow, I don't think I would have thought of horse sweat - you win the award for "most original" on that one! ;-) But oh, I do love the smells of Old Spice and honeysuckle too... mmmmmm...

And I agree - I hope our children get back to their roots on how our country was originally formed, with Judeo-Christian principles!