Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hodgepodge with an Eye for Flowers

Joyce has a garden full of questions every week in this fun little meme called the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Sometimes the questions are real head-scratchers, which leads me to the first question and answer this week.



1. What question do you often ask yourself?


Okay, what did I come in here for?   (and then I have to go back to where I was when I had the thought until I remember)

2. Do you grow roses? What's your favorite color of rose?  Ever been given a dozen roses?  Where was the prettiest rose or rose garden you remember seeing?

I have a beautiful rose bush that grows up around my front lamppost, a variety called Diana, Princess of Wales.  It hasn't bloomed yet this year, but here's an old picture.  



I've been given a dozen roses a few times by my husband. The first ones he ever gave me were yellow--the symbol of friendship, which was as daring as he wanted to be before finding out that I liked him in a "red rose" sort of way.

  Ever since, my favorite color rose has been yellow. I received these last week after the school art show as a thank you from my superiors. They're still beautiful. 


The prettiest rose garden I've seen might be at Ladew Topiary Gardens, right here in Maryland. 
If you decide to come visit me, let's go there if you're as crazy about  flower gardens as I am. 

These pink ones  in my daughter-in-law's wedding bouquet were also stunning. 
  But not as stunning as she herself! 
 

Beware when you ask me about flowers. I tend to be obviously, overtly, obsessive. Or obnoxious. 

3. Do you read the freshness dates on grocery store products?  Will you use eggs past their 'use by' date?  Take medication that's expired? Buy a dented can?

I sure do read freshness dates! I have heard that eggs are good for 2-3 weeks past their "use by" date, but we go through eggs so fast around here, I don't know if I've ever used them past date.  I will take expired medicine. I think it's just not as potent, right? Not harmful?  I won't buy a dented can, though. 



4. Should athletes be role models? 

I'm not quite sure how to read this question.  I think everyone is a role model, but the question is, what kind of model?  

5. Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first explorers to reach the top of Mt. Everest on this date (May 29) back in 1953. What's something you hope to achieve in your lifetime?


I would love to lead another person to the Lord--or several persons. Not even reaching the summit of Mt. Everest could "top" that for a high!

6. What would you do if you had twenty acres of land and the money to develop it any way you choose?

For purely selfish reasons, I would split it five ways and build five houses on it--one for my husband and me, and one for each of our kids. That would give each of us four acres apiece on which to do what we want--and I would have all my kids and future grandkids close by.  However, I think my own kids might balk at having me that close to them! 

Unselfishly, I think I might like to do something similar to what's been done at The Samaritan Women in Baltimore.  It's a Victorian mansion on 25 acres bought by Christians who had the vision to turn it into a rehab facility for female veterans suffering from PTSD, or those rescued from human trafficking and abuse.  Please watch the short video I posted yesterday that shows you this wonderful place.   I love that TSW Residence teaches women culinary skills with a seed-to-table approach.  I am still seriously praying about ministering here.

7. If I invite you to a party with a 7 PM start time, what time will I actually see you there?

Depends on the type of party. If it were a mix-and-mingle super casual, not a sit-down affair,   I would plan to arrive at 7:10 . However, if it was  like a jewelry party or a shower, I would show up at 7 or 7:05.

8.  Insert your own random thought  here. 

One of my  10th graders drew this eye.   Is it incredible or what? 







4 comments:

Joyce said...

That eye appears to be looking back-awesome! I'd take you up on your garden tour offer. I am a flower fan too!

Unknown said...

Wow - what a talented artist your student is! And ooh, if I'm ever in your area we can go look at flowers together! :-) Thank you for sharing about the Samaritan Woman ministry... what an awesome ministry. I'm reading an incredible book about the human trafficking problem - it's called "Refuse to do Nothing" and is such an important read.

Beth Zimmerman said...

I've always thought that if I had that kind of property, and the money to develop it, I would build a compound of sorts with a large main house (for me to live in) and several smaller cottages for use by pastors or missionaries in need of respite. And because I tend to believe that the Lord is coming back soon ... I would like to somehow arrange for it to be off the grid so it could be a sanctuary in the end times for new believers. Not sure how I would arrange that part but such is my dream!

bp said...

Great answer for #5!

That is an amazing picture of the eye. I showed my son. Thanks for sharing.