Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Curriculum Recommendations for First Grade?

It's that time of year again. Time to browse for next year's curriculum. We'll be homeschooling Joel again. I asked him if he wanted to go to "regular school" and he said "no." He likes co-op. He told me he would like to only do homeschool on Tuesdays. Yeh, me too, son.

So, we used My Father's World for kindergarten. It was easy peasy. People have asked what I like about it and I say, "It's easy peasy!" I pushed my older kids almost every step of the way, starting in kindergarten. I had too great a desire for the approval of certain people up until 2005, which drove me to have a few regrets about our pace. Don't get me wrong; I believe in doing excellent work and there's nothing wrong with a strenuous academic plan, but I'm confessing my motives were often wrong.

Back to MWF. It's been easy. I like the animal studies, the book lists, the Bible verses to memorize, the hands-on activities, the user-friendliness of it. (You really don't need to get this curriculum more than a week in advance to be prepared for the first week of school!) I'm just thinking our pace maybe was a little too relaxed! I could have done more, that's for sure. But isn't that every mom's song and dance?

Any recommendations from you gals who are half my age and twice my IQ? I need a first grade curriculum, and may stick with MWF, depending on feedback.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

being close to you age, and probably half your i.q. I may not be your go to gal :) . However, I am going to be using MFW next year for the first time (level 3, I think). We already were using the science and the history spines they use, but they've done all of the planning and added the literature to complement the curriculum. It seems like Sonlight on a diet. Anyway, have you checked out Winter Promise? it's similar but it has crafts - more hands on, which I could see Joel really loving. just google winter promise homeschool curriculum and you will get their website (their catalog is beautiful). Also, if you haven't discovered it, www.homeschoolreviews.com is one of my favorite resources because it is real moms (not publishers) reviewing all kinds of curriculum. It's sooooo helpful.

Marie said...

Zo, I'm looking into K curriculums, as you know. I used the website Laurie recommended and read about "Little Hearts of Glory" (it's also called "Heart of Dakota"). Anybody know anything about this one? Thanks.

Bethany said...

Are you just asking about science? I did Living learning books with Seth this year in a co-op setting. It was so much fun.

http://www.livinglearningbooks.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=299

Bethany said...

Oh I see that is everything. I did the above for science.
Explode the code and Ordinary Parents Guide To Teaching Reading with lots of out loud reading thrown in.

Spelling Workout
Saxon Math
Handwriting I think was ELS but can't remember...we already finished it. I will have to dig it out.

I did TOG and did great in the beginning but it was just way to much for him. All we do now is read the books and a few activities...I think I will like it more when he is older.

Seth does choir and PE at co-op with our umbrella school.