Monday, April 14, 2008

My Parents are Leaving for Russia

Please pray for my mom and dad. They are so excited and, naturally, apprehensive about traveling to Birobidzhan. They'll be gone from April 15-29th.

Birobidzhan is a tiny region of Russia way, way, way over there on the eastern side near China.
Siberia ring a bell? It's a place where Hitler sent Jews to die, but instead of their race dying out, they reproduced and became stronger in the cold and distant "forgotten" land!

My folks are going over there to celebrate Passover with their dear friends Andrey and Valeria (who were here last summer) as well as to take much needed items that their congregation and others have generously donated (a laptop being the big ticket item) to aid this couple in spreading the gospel.

I admit I'm a bit nervous for them. Daddy is 74, Mama a few years younger. It's a 26-hour flight over, and 48 back because of a 5- hour layover in Moscow and a 10-hour one in London.

They are taking a veritable pharmacy with them. I also gave them pointers from my experience of what to take (good toilet paper, hand sanitizer, deodorant to hand out to people on the bus, and pictures of loved ones, which I hope include me!).

5 comments:

Sacha said...

My heart goes with them! I will keep them (and you) in prayers!

Anonymous said...

Praying for them...

krista said...

Deodorant for those on the bus--very good idea I'm sure! Wish I would have thought of this when in Central America years ago. (Such a sensitive nose have I!)

On a serious note: will definately keep them in prayer! What an adventure! :-)

Unknown said...

Of course they will have your pix, you are such a wonderful daughter. We have daughters and they are all precious to us.
People like your parents are also precious in God's sight and He will be with them and to all the Russians, too. Remember John 3:16.
Betty G

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for them (and for you to have a calm heart re your mommy and daddy). How exciting for them!

:)

(i am sure that they will be carrying more than just a picture of you.. you are in their hearts!!)

Karen