Sunday, April 06, 2008

Desperate Daughter's Plea

Sarah has an assignment that no one here approves of, but it has to be done. For her sociology class, she has to interview someone in the service economy (retail, restaurant, hospitality, cleaning, childcare, etc). Why the disapproval? Because she basically has to interview someone she doesn't know who is having trouble making ends meet on a low income. Paul said, "So, will you have to interview a wealthy person, too?" When Sarah said no, we just shook our heads. "Liberal cr&% we're paying for!" Why not interview someone making good money who has done the hard work of getting a college education (a privilege, not a right, may I add), or of using his or her God-given skills and talents to make a good living? Argh! Don't get me started. I once had the courage (audacity? tactlessness? call it what you want) one day when a "friend" called me to say she was pregnant with Child #4 out of wedlock. She was on welfare and had been for as long as I can remember. She sounded as if she wanted me to congratulate her. I curtly told her, "Um, you sound happy about it, but if you want me to say yay, I won't. My husband is tired of seeing almost 40% of his hard-earned salary go toward taxes that help pay to raise and educate other people's children." I could have been nicer about it, I suppose, but it's the way I felt (still do) and I think I had been gracious and generous to give her diapers, food, and other stuff for the other babies, but this time I was angry. Anyway, I digress....


Back to Sarah's situation:

Let's face it. Wouldn't YOU be embarrassed to approach a stranger to do an interview about their job and income? I mean, come on, where are yesterday's manners that say you don't discuss salaries with people outside your own family????

That said, she needs an interview and needs it quick. Phone/IM interviews are okay . So in case you haven't seen her plea on her blog, please check it out for details. Deadline is less than 48 hours from now. Yeh, she takes after her mother when it comes to doing unpleasant tasks.

No comments: