Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'm a Believer in Spelling Power

While spelling has always come easily for me, the same is not true of all my children. I had a grown up believing the theory that avid readers made good spellers. All my sisters were bookworms and had no trouble spelling. My parents devoured books and spelled well, even in foreign languages. I also believed good spelling was as genetic as curly hair or blue eyes. My parents could spell well, my sisters could spell well, and so I naturally assumed any offspring of mine would spell well.


Along came my firstborn who kept me thinking that at least part of my reasoning was correct. He was a biological child, had blue eyes, and spelled reasonably well. He disturbed the other part of my theory; he was not an avid reader nor wanted to become one. Give him a baseball, a bat, and a backyard and he was happy. (Backyard optional.) Ben--though he used some phonetic creativity in the first three or four years of school--soon began spelling almost everything passably well by fourth grade. Nothing atrocious. (Did I spell that right?) Nothing alarming. Nothing that made me incorporate spelling drills into my homeschool day. In fact, I secretly thought the mistakes were kind of cute and that he'd outgrow them soon enough.


Then along came Sarah. She shared my genes. My darling little girl who always had a book in one hand and a baby doll in the other. (Is it any wonder she has chosen Early Childhood Education as her major?) Sarah's second home has always been the local library. She would read books about animals, plants, children, families, colors, God, you name it. I have photos of her reading to Stephen on the sofa, their soft, little legs dangling just over the edge of cushions. How surprised I was, then, that her writing did not reflect all the correctly-spelled words she was reading. By fourth grade her inventions were anything but cute. I thought, "She'll never be a good elementary school teacher if she can't spell." I panicked. My daughter's future was so shaky, resting on pitifully strung-together letters she called werds. I mean words.


Nothing was wrong with my daughter. It was my theory about spelling that needed correcting.


That's when I went on an aggressive hunt to find a curriculum that would work. Memorizing lists was not helpful. Sure, she could ace any spelling test, but ask her two weeks later, and we were back to skwair one. Long-term retention was just not there. Giving her a bunch of rules didn't cure her. Scrapping 45 minutes of math in order to do 45 of spelling was torture (for both of us). I prayed more out of desperation than faith.


Enter Spelling Power. It was the talk of the homeschool town at the time. Not written by a Master of Spelling, but by a mom whose own daughter was flunking every test in school and was being emotionally affected by her failures. (Aren't we all?) She became a student of her daughter, pulled her out of school (if I'm remembering correctly) and began teaching her a new way of spelling. The results astounded everyone.


In a nutshell, here's what I remember being the keys to success with Spelling Power.


1) Fifteen minutes a day is all it takes--and all a kid CAN take mentally. Beyond that you get results inversely proportional to the amount of time spent studying words.

2) My way of doing the program worked fine. (I'm not patient about reading 30 pages of teacher helps in the intro. I plunge right in after getting the gist.) I am convinced you can tailor Spelling Power to your child's learning style and your teaching style.

3) You diagnose their level by finding a list they can easily master, and then move on.

4) The book doesn't say "Grade Whatever" on the cover, so no kid in 7th grade feels stupid seeing a big 4 on the front cover. Maybe the words he can master would by typical for a 4th grader, but most words in our everyday vocab are at about that level, so what's the big deal? The program can start with a very young reader and progress till at least 8th grade, I'd say.

5) The way I worked it with my kids was this: Pick a level a little below where I think they are competent. Have them spell the words orally until they start missing a few. Whatever they miss, they write down correctly with my help. When they miss 10, that's their weekly list. (If you think fewer than 10 is better, that's fine. Better a kid spell five words well than 10 poorly, right?)
They spell it by writing it, tracing it, closing their eyes and spelling aloud, and a couple other tricks of the educational trade. Come the next Friday, they are tested from their list. Get it right, it comes off their list. Miss it, and it's repeated the next week. So the list is THEIR own personal list, not some arbitrary one chosen by some nameless, faceless publisher doing a proper scope-and-sequence thingy.

6) Stick with it. If a kid hates to spell because of a mindset that "he can't" or because he'll be laughed at or put down or even hear his mother's exasperated sigh, he'll make up all kinds of excuses. He'll contract chicken pox from his pencil. He'll get hives from his ink pen. He'll come down with a sudden migraine, brought on by the mention of the word "spelling." Mom will feel similar symptoms. Don't buy into it. Stick with the plan. Poor spellers can become decent spellers. I am convinced. My Sarah is living proof. While she still occasionally asks, "How do you spell....?" it is not the norm.


My new theory is: good spelling is a visual thing. Look at a word spelled correctly, meditate on it, trace it, write it, spell it orally, write it again. All the top-notch spellers in the Scripps National Bee will "air write" on the back of their placards. Ever notice that? The word has to "look right" to a good speller.


Trust me on this one. Spelling Power cost me nearly fifty bucks (new) back in the day. It was worth every pene. I mean penny.


As a funny aside, when Joel was four he told me he could spell "cartoon." Really? I doubted him; he spent more time on the laptop than in books (to my shame and Sarah's horror). "Yeah," he announced. It's c-a-r-t-ENTER." (It always worked when he was trying to get to "Cartoon Network" online.)


-------------------------------------


For more info (in marketingese, here's something I lifted from a website called Castlemoyer.com.










All New Design!
4th Edition
Spelling Power

This famous, award-winning spelling program by Beverly L. Adams-Gordon just became better. Now featuring 21st century technology, it still teaches solid back-to-basic spelling skills. Since 1994, Spelling Power has given home educators the perfect way to teach comprehensive spelling skills to their whole family. (See What's New in Spelling Power.)

Your students will use this research proven program to master the 5,000 most frequently used words. These words are divided into 11 levels based on their usage. Each level of Spelling Power’s unique word list is then further organized by phonetic principles and spelling rules.

Additional words that your students needs to master are taken from your student’s own writing errors and added to your Spelling Power program using the provided resources. Your students continue to study each of these words until they have spelled them correctly at least once. Then Spelling Power’s i>spiral curriculum approach of repeated, spaced review assures your students will master every word they study. And your students will master them! Spelling Power’s six levels of built-in review guarantees that every word taught will be mastered.

Multi-sensory study steps, inductive learning activities, interesting skill-building activities and games, and the incorporation of spelling into the rest of your curriculum are integral aspects of Adams-Gordon’s Spelling Power program. Everything you need to teach each of your students spelling skills to the college level is contained in this one easy-to-use, step-by-step curriculum package. You’ll even find everything you need to know to teach them proofreading and dictionary skills.

6 comments:

Jessi said...

Yeah...

I've heard so much about Spelling Power; I even have it (an older edition someone passed down to me). I tried it...well, let me say, I started to, wasn't really sure how to do it, but got so totally overwhelmed by the million pages of instruction on how to use the program that I gave up.

What I'm using this year seems to be easy, confidence building, tear-free so far, so now it's just a matter of seeing if it gives results. If not, by the end of the year, I will have to trust all the praises I've heard of spelling power, spend the summer reading the instructors instructions, and try it again next year.

Is jr high too late to reform a poor speller?

Anonymous said...

Jessi, junior is not too late, but it's getting there. I would NOT give a whole year to any program except Spelling Power at this stage of your daughter's schooling. Why? Because a year is too long to gamble with. Synapses in the brain are firing AND cementing wrong spellings (and a bunch of other stuff). Don't worry about following all the instructions to the instructor. I'm willing to bet that if you read through how I did it (the lazy way) your daughter will do better. The idea is to form her own lists of words and to master those correctly. Words like "either" and "when" and "through" and "immediately" are far more importanat than even science vocab or pre-generated, arbitrary words picked by the curriculum writers. I wish I could teach spelling to my 5th and 6th graders w/ this method, but it's not in my scope of duties.

Jessi said...

The program I'm using was recommended by my evaluator, who used it with her one child who had difficulty with spelling. It's actually a program that was originally developed for people with dyslexia, and also used for adult literacy programs, and seems to have many similar principles to Spelling Power.

I also just allowed her to have her own e-mail account, in hopes that will also encourage her to press in on her own to learning to spell better (with some pressure of knowing more than just I will be seeing her spelling...). She did send an e-mail to her aunt, that when I read later pointed out a word that she repeatedly misspelled and while there wasn't any huge 'shame' issues, I think it's enough to start making her care about TRYING to spell better, which I'm also hoping will help.

We'll see...I'm gonna stick with it for now, as I do think it's helping, at least to some degree, more than anything else we've done so far. Thanks for the input though...I'll keep you posted!

Kitty Couture said...

Oh, this is fascinating.
I do believe that people with a more visual memory are better at spelling.

This tends to confirm my suspicion that the now omnipresent use of computers may be partly responsible for the growing tendency to misspell. Writing a word on a 'puter (besides having often automated correctors to take care of the mistakes) is so different from writing words by hand.
I don't know about you, but when I'm feeling unsure about how a word is spelt, I only need to write it down and see if it looks good or not.

Not that I have anything against computers, obviously (honestly, I really can't fathom how my supervisor wrote her own thesis, you know? Oh, right, it took them 10 years at the time). However, encouraging children to write by hand a bit more often wouldn't do any harm.

Thank you for your sweet note the other day. I do hope all is well with you and yours, Zo.

Bethany said...

I have heard good things about it too. What grade/age do you think is best to start it? I kept with spelling workout this year but was checking this out after my sister told me about it.

Zoanna said...

I think first grade or as soon as they're reading well. They need correct spellings to take root in their little brains. The tendency is to say "how cute" (and creative spelling is) but by the time they hit fifth grade it is NOT CUTE AT ALL. Believe me, I teach that grade and have only one good speller out of six at school.