Sunday, September 28, 2008

SAD Meal #1: Bush's Baked Beans in Chili

I thought of an acroynm for easy and tasty dishes that I've found or invented: SAD meals. SAD stands for Simple and Delicious.

Why is it you usually hear the phrase "simple but delicious," as if simplicity and taste are mutually exclusive? I don't know about you, but I've made meals that have taken two hours to whoop up and they are no better than some ten minutes deals. So, rather than go with SBDs (yuuuuck!) I'm going to post SAD Meals from time to time.

A SAD Meal, by my definition, will have no more than five ingredients and take not longer than 30 mintues from prep to table.

The first one I'm posting came about after a little disagreement between Paul and me this past Friday. On that cold, rainy evening, he wanted chili. I had everything we needed for it except kidney beans.

"We don't need beans," he said.
"Yes, we do," I said,
"No, we don't. Meat, tomatoes, seasonings-- that's all you need," said the hungry fellow watching the news.
I insisted chili without meat is fine, but chili without beans is not. Trifling matter, and I would gladly have lost the argument if it meant not having to run out for beans. Instead, I grabbed a can of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans from the pantry.

Problem solved, and the chili was really good. A Southern sweetness to it, but still plenty spicy.

Here's the recipe for my SAD Meal #1: Bush's Baked Beans in Chili

1.5 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 pkg. chili seasoning
1 can (13-15?oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (about 11 oz) Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans

Brown the meat with onion. Drain grease off. Add entire seasoning pack plus a cup of water to the beef. Add tomatoes and stir. Add beans and stir till hot.

For garnish and added flavor,we put shredded cheddar into the chili after spooning it into our bowls.

2 comments:

Karen said...

sounds simply yummy ;)

Karen said...

making this tonight for my simply yummy dinner for my family. Great idea.