Saturday, April 09, 2011

H is for Horrible Hairstyle

Hair is important to me. If you're a woman reading this, you're probably saying, "It's important to me, too! Isn't it important to every woman?" My husband says it's way too important to me. Our youngest son says, "Yeah, anyway, it's just dead cells, Mom!" (This from the child whose idea of brushing his hair means slapping water on it and pasting it down with his hands.)

I've been scrolling through my mind, trying to remember all the hairstyles I've had, for better or for worse. I will share the worst haircut ever. I wish I could say it when I was a kid ,but it wasn't. I was 23 years old. I had a 13-month old son, and a 3-week-old daughter. That's right. Two babies in 13 months. I felt homely, haggard, and housebound, and desperate for change. Post-partum depression was starting to take a deep hold on me. There was not much I felt in control of--not my anger, not my tears, not my children's digestion.

Only two things could I change easily--diapers and my hair. With a friend's graduation-from-law-school party coming up on Memorial Day weekend, I went for my cut on payday--May 15th. Money was tight, but I knew if I went to the Hair Cuttery, they'd ask me what I wanted and I'd walk out with the same-old, same-old. I wanted someone with professional and creative experience to tell me what would look good, not me plop down and tell them what I thought.

So I went to a "real" salon (read: expensive). The receptionist asked who I wanted, and I said it didn't matter, I was new here. So I got assigned one. It was the first time I'd ever had a male stylist.

He ran his fingers through my wavy, brown, shapeless hair, lifting and tossing and massaging and all those things that make you say, "I don't care what else you do, just more of that, please!" He said all the right things in his exuberant, flamboyant way to the hermit housewife in his chair. "You've got great texture and color. I just think if I do this, this, and this, it'll give you more volume, accent your eyes, and really make people take notice!" Then he proceeded to snip. And snip. And snip.

He cut out every last semblance of curl and femininity I possessed on my head. He parted the hair on the side, tapered it in back, cut out the ears, and then spun me around to look in the mirror.

"What do you think?" he asked, obviously proud of his art. I took one look and gulped. I ran my fingers through the top--the only place with much hair left--and gasped to myself I was too polite to tell him how I really felt. How could I have given him carte blanche! It's horrible! I look so....butch! What will Paul say? Nauseated and fighting back tears, I handed over precious money in a sum I had never forked over for a cut. It felt like a double whammy, having paid with hair first!

Well, Paul's reaction was worse than I expected. He really didn't get verbal about it. He did say, "Kind of short, isn't it?" For the next five weeks, he didn't touch my head. Before that, I had grown so accustomed to his gentle stroking of it at night that the abrupt absence of "hair affection" made me pick up his hand and place it behind my head. He quickly pulled back. I asked what was wrong. He then answered in words I only remember in staccato, "'sorry...can't...touch...stubble." I rolled over and just let the tears flow. And flow. And flow. He felt horrible, but it was an honest moment that I've never forgotten. I had let a total stranger have his way with my hair, and now my own soulmate couldn't even touch it.

Never again, I vowed. Never again will I give free rein to someone with scissors.

7 comments:

Zoanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Zoanna said...

I was having trouble w/ Blogger, but I came back and tried again. Seems maybe one way to fix the paragraphing problem (where everything gets mushed together, and the paragraphs spacing disappears when you hit Publish) could be to hit "Save now" after the end of every paragraph. And then hit Publish. At least that's what I did; maybe it was just a fluke.

Empty Nest Insider said...

Zohanna, what a horrible hair story! I come from a beauty shop obsessed family where my mom and grandmother were weekly "regulars" so I know how traumatic a bad haircut could be. Well your hair looks lovely now and has a fabulous shine to it, so your worst hair days are behind you! I enjoyed your story, and want to thank you for visiting me. Julie

Rhonda @Laugh Quotes said...

Hubby wouldn't touch your short hair, that is so sad. My worst hair was when my two roommates decided to give me a home perm - each rolling it a different tightness. LOL- I had one side curlier than the other.

Anonymous said...

Oh I know what you mean. If I have a bad haircut I constantly look in the mirror to see if it's got any better. If i like it I forget I've had it done! I once ahd a perm that made me look like a standard poodle and I cried! :O)

Laurie said...

The "way too short cut" done by an over-exuberant male stylist! I Have BEEN THERE! Beware of the one who wields the scissors!

RG Pyper said...

ah, my other idea for H day was Hair. But not a bad story (yours, mind you, is a very well-written bad story.) This story made me want to cry. I'm so glad it's grown out and you've had a few chances for better cuts since then. But still, yikes, poor young mommy!

I just had a really nice experience. I told my stylist to give me bangs and a bob. I love it. I feel really special about it because I know that most haircuts aren't what we expect.

Love your blog - nice to meet you!