Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q is for Quintessential

Is there a certain word which, whenever you hear it, reminds you of a certain person? The word "intimation" (not intimidation, but intimation--"a hinting at"-- reminds me of a nun who taught Chaucer. She used that word a lot, while a pool of spittle foamed at the left corner of her mouth in excitement over what she was teaching. Who knew the Canterbury Tales could elicit such salivary surplus? When it came to teaching the tale of the Wife of Bath, look out below. When Sister couldn't contain her enthusiasm (or jaw juice) anymore, she'd lick and slurp simultaneously. Picture a carpet cleaning machine. This teacher's foamy spittle bubbled out slowly while she spoke in long, choppy sentences that read like the Amplified Bible, punctuated by the phrase, "What-hmmm?" For example, "Chaucer was intimating, what-hmm?" "that, that, that this wife had a reputation for, was known as, had an affinity for--because of the space between her front teeth--what, hmmm, a sordid habit as it were?" (And I pictured this nun teaching in sordid habit, which was equal parts comical and disgusting.)

The word "quintessential" is another such trigger word but for a polar reason. It reminds me of my delightful friend, Sandy S, who had no drool issues. I still remember the day the whole conversation over "quintessential" came up. We were sitting in the bleachers at a lacrosse game watching our FCA high school sons. The other team was killing us, and we parents were far from the field. Sandy and I kind of tuned out of the game in favor of gabbing.

Sandy has a joie de vivre that shines through her bright smile, and she is an absolute joy to be around. Energetic and athletic, talented and outgoing, she accomplishes more in a day than I accomplish in a week--and so I remarked, "Aren't you are the quintessential wife and mom!"

She said, "That sounds like a compliment, but could you please tell me what that Q word means?"

I said, "Oh, come on, you know. And I know you're the quintessential wife and mom!"

"Well, I have an idea about the word. Quints are five kids at once, but I only have two, and being a mom is essential. Other than that, help me out, Zo!"

I asked her if she wanted to hear the quick definition, or the teacher's manual version. I had just recently discovered the origin of "quintessential" while teaching an SAT vocab-prep lesson. Sandy said, "Well, considering we're only in the third quarter of the game, give me the TM version!

"Okay then. You are right that "quint" means five. In Medieval times, people believed there were four essences: air, water, fire, and earth. The fifth essence--or quinta essentia-- was the perfect embodiment of all four heavenly elements. That's you."

"No way!"

"Yes way!
Aristotle said the fifth essence was ether, since it was believed there was a trace of ether in everything. It permeates all other elements. What other moms today have read their Bibles before sun-up, run ten miles at dawn, come home and made strawberry smoothies with cheese frittatas, homeschooled a high schooler and a middler, put dinner in the crock pot, cut up 20 fresh oranges for the whole lacrosse team, helped her husband with some landscaping, and is here now perky as a spring daffodil for a 3 o'clock game on the north side of the Baltimore beltway? Most of us were proud that we took a shower, got through math before lunch, and found matching socks. As for dinner, the plan is either Burger King or McDonald's."

"Hey, I just had a lot to do today! That's all. And if I don't run, I'm a hyper mess!"

She and I still tease each other on Facebook. I told her I hope she has a quintessential birthday at the lake. She told me to have a quintessential date night. I asked her, "At Burger King or McDonald's?"

She replied, "Ether!"

3 comments:

Laurie said...

So cute!
And thanks for clearing up that big long word!
I'd learned about it before but I had "ether" forgotten or
couldn't remember;)!~!!

Mandie said...

I don't know that I could have sat through call with a nun and kept my lunch down! I'll never forget my drivers ed instructor, he always had a saliva string in the center of his mouth running between the top and bottom lip. Luckily we also watched a lot of videos in class.
Oh man, I got tired just reading about what your friend accomplished before 3pm. At this point a shower for me, regular meals for Liam and a house that looks like it was only hit by a gusty wind rather than a full on tornado is a huge deal :)

Zoanna said...

Mandie, I seldom looked at her when she was teaching. I was always dreading the suctioning sound she made while sweeping her lips w/ her tongue. I can't hear the name Chaucer w/o thinking of her, but she did teach me a lot about Canterbury Tales.


btw--when I reread this post I caught a mistake and fixed it .My friend Sandy had NO drool issues! Oh, what a difference a little word makes.